This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380479



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480668

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3204SW EASTERN ROAD 577-1/42/240 (North side) 20/08/71 Classroom, Dining Hall and Head Master's House, Brighton College (Formerly Listed as: EASTERN ROAD Brighton College)


Private school. Main classroom range, 1848-1849 by George Gilbert Scott, who designed the headmaster's house and dormitory to the east in 1853-54, and added the chapel and small hall opposite (qv) in 1859; the dining hall to the rear added in 1865-1866, architect unknown. Built as an Anglican public school at the initiative of William Aldwin Soames; first principal the Rev. Arthur Macleane, Bishop of Edinburgh. Scott's original courtyard plan called for a cloister-like arrangement of 3 arcaded ranges open to the south, all in the Gothic Revival style; see "Illustrated London News", 13 October, 1849, page 245. Due to a lack of funds, only the north range was constructed. The materials used in this rectangular block, galleted flint with Caen stone dressings (now poorly repaired in cement), were repeated in all works through the 1860s and in Jackson's chapel extension. The roofs are of tile. EXTERIOR: the classroom block has a 9-window range and is symmetrical about a 2-storey entrance porch with gable facing; 2 storeys over central cellar. The most prominent feature of this early phase is the entrance porch, which is open to the ground on each of its 3 projecting faces through a pointed segmental-arch, subordered and moulded; corner angle buttresses of 2 set backs; to first-floor, a stone canted bay supported on massive and simply chamfered corbels, its tripartite bay window with traceried heads; facing gable above with kneelers, tumbled-in stone wedges, and a stone gable coping; the 3 gable statues gone; clock face near peak of gable. The ground-floor windows of the main range are identical: 3-light under a segmental super-arch, each light with a trefoiled, plate-tracery head. There are pointed segmental arched entrances to the left and right extremes. Between the ground and first floors can be found traces of Scott's plan for an arcaded cloister: corbels meant for roof rafters with a weather moulding above. All the first-floor windows finish in gabled half dormers which project above the eaves. To either side of the porch the first-floor windows have 2 lights, with transom and simple "Y"-headed tracery in a segmental, pointed arch; they, as well as their corresponding gable dormers, are lower than the remaining first-floor windows which are 2 light, pointed arched, having Geometric-styled tracery heads culminating in a cusped roundel; the high gable above each is pierced by a trilobed attic light. To the left side of the entrance porch, introducing an asymmetrical note, is an octagonal bell turret ending above the eaves line in a spirelet. There are single-setback ridge stacks between the first- and second-, and 6th- and 7th-window ranges, the right end wall, and behind the bell turret. INTERIOR: inside is an entrance hall of 3 bays, lit by 3 pointed-arched windows. The entrance hall has a simple pointed-arched arcade, to the north of which rises a stair into a full-height stair hall covered with a boarded, pointed barrel vault. This vault is continued in the library which occupies the first-floor of the entrance porch and was originally used as a chapel. The interior appointments are modest, relieved here and there by some historiated and ornamental carving. The boarded entrance door retains its original iron hinges and bolts. All windows have chamfered mullions and transoms and all are glazed with metal casement windows. Left return has a gable facing. The Master's House and dormitories to the right were built for the second principal, the Rev. Henry Cotterill. These have an L-shaped plan, and are linked to the main block by a truncated tower, square in plan; neither the fabric nor documentary evidence indicate whether this tower was built at the same time as the main range, the Master's House, or added at some other time. The Master's House has 3 storeys over basement, the entrance elevation a 4-window range. The left-hand window ranges are treated as a gabled bay with an attic storey. The entrance is flat-arched with cusped quadrant corners and a segmental, pointed-arch overlight filled with tracery. This entrance is reached through a segmental, pointed-arch entrance in a single-storey, square porch topped by a cusped parapet enclosing a first-floor balcony; gargoyles to corners of porch. To the right of the porch 2, double windows with transoms and tracery heads. To the left of the porch 2 double-light, tracery windows. All windows, except where stated otherwise, have hood mouldings. Between the latter pair of windows a buttress rises to support a rectangular stone bay to the first and second floors; each floor of bay pierced with 4, cusped lancets; the bay terminates in a crenellated parapet and steep lean-to roof. The heads of the remaining first-floor windows are identical to the entrance's. There is a plain, pointed-arch, double window in the second-window range on the second floor. The 2 window ranges to the right terminate in gabled half dormers. Flat-arched window with tri-lobed head lights attic of facing gable roof. There is an angle set-back buttress to the left corner. Moulded storey bands across the main elevation, the topmost continues across the left return. While the left return is considerably plainer several features contribute to the highly picturesque effect of the design: set-back chimney breast near the corner, a full-height gabled bay with traceried windows. Beyond the latter are 3 recently-restored dormers of timber, one occluded by the top stage of the tower already noted. The right return is of one-window range and steps back to a tower-like projection at corner with the dormitory wing to the rear. On the latter the window designs are much simplified but still Gothic in feeling. Stacks to left-end wall, rear of the right-hand wing and outer walls of dormitory range. The Dining Hall at the rear was built to serve this complex by the next principal, the Rev. Dr John Griffith and has a timber-framed roof of 4 bays, defined by crown post roof trusses; the crown posts omitted at north and south walls so as not to obscure the pair of 2 light, Geometric-styled windows; in the centre of the gable above a cusped roundel; each of 4 intermediate bays subdivided by a hammer beam truss formed by omitting the tie beam which, in the main bays, carries the crown post. The classroom range and Master's House form an important group with the Chapel (qv) and TG Jackson's range along Eastern Road (qv). (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 19; ).

Listing NGR: TQ3242704078

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 19
'Illustrated London News' in 13 October, (1849), 245

National Grid Reference: TQ 32427 04078


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 05:00:31.

End of official listing