THE OCEAN HOTEL FRONT BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1381688

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1992

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Statutory Address: THE OCEAN HOTEL FRONT BLOCK, LONGRIDGE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OCEAN HOTEL FRONT BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381688 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:54:35.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OCEAN HOTEL FRONT BLOCK, LONGRIDGE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 38506 02136

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3802 LONGRIDGE AVENUE, Saltdean 577-1/14/1097 (West side) 01/10/92 The Ocean Hotel, front block (Formerly Listed as: LONGRIDGE AVENUE Ocean Hotel)

II

Hotel. 1938. By RWH Jones, reinforced concrete engineering by JL Kier and Co. Reinforced concrete, plastered. EXTERIOR: 3 and 4 storeys over basement, 19-window range. The front block is set out in a concave curve and is symmetrical with a centrepiece, ranges of 5 windows either side and wings of 3 windows. Steps up to flat-arched central entrance flanked by curved walls partly of glass and partly decorated with banded rustication, all under a cantilevered semicircular canopy; above the entrance the centrepiece has a 2-storey bay with tripartite window having original horizontal glazing and one-window wings to either side; the central part stepped up above the parapet; flat-arched windows to side ranges, the glazing altered, to first and second floors; deep storey band between ground and first floors; wings have porthole windows below principal ground- floor windows and an architrave panel framing the first- and second-floor windows; third floor of wings blank , with brackets for flagpoles. In the rear, the first and second floors are treated as a series of 5 separate wings fanning out southwards from the main front. INTERIOR: vestibule with original cantilevered spiral staircase to 3 floors; restaurant to original plan but with the decorative treatment of the south-facing walls altered, probably at an early stage, to incorporate decorative low-relief figures in painted plaster. To the south, behind and below the main block, are 6 linked dormitory blocks, 3 each on either side of swimming and paddling pools; these have generally been raised in height, and the pools have been covered over. Some original glazing to the dormitory blocks remains, but this group is not now of special architectural or historic interest. (Architect and Building News: 12 August 1938).



Listing NGR: TQ3850602136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 482051

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Architect and Building News' in 12 August, (1938)

End of official listing