ETTINGTON PARK HOTEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- ETTINGTON PARK HOTEL, SHIPSTON ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382586.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 16:07:38.
- Statutory Address:
- ETTINGTON PARK HOTEL, SHIPSTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SP24NW 1912-1/6/78 05/04/67
SHIPSTON ROAD, Alderminster (East side (off)) Ettington Park Hotel (Formerly Listed as: ETTINGTON Ettington Park)
Country house, now hotel. 1858-62 re-modelling of earlier house, probably mid C17 with mid C18 additions and interior alterations of 1824; late C20 alterations and additions. By John Pritchard and JP Seddon, incorporating 1824 work by Rickman and Hutchinson, for Evelyn Philip Shirley. MATERIALS: yellow and grey banded limestone ashlar; steeply pitched stone slate hipped, gabled, conical and pyramidal roofs with cresting and stone ridge, lateral and internal stacks (some round). PLAN: E-plan with rear wing, and service wings to left. EXTERIOR: east, entrance, facade of 2 storeys plus attic; 3-window main range with flanking wings and re-entrant turrets; wings joined by 7-bay screen with porte-cochere to central entrance. Top cornices and coped parapets with blind quatrefoils. Porte cochere has diagonal buttresses flanking arch; crenellated parapet. Screen walls have arches with enriched hoods and 2-light plate tracery with wrought-iron grilles, cornice with dog-tooth and pierced parapet. 2- and 3-light mullioned windows, those to top floor with trefoil-headed lights in gabled half-dormers, the central dormer with relief carving to tympanum. Turret to left has circular upper half carried on broaches and conical roof. Square turret to right with 2-light trefoil-headed windows with plate tracery to upper stage, beneath cornice and pyramid roof. Wing to left has hipped roof and 2-storey bow window with 3 trefoil-headed 1st floor windows over relief panels; wing to right has full-height canted bay window with similar details, and richly carved cornice to hipped roof, colonnettes to 3-light ground floor window and richly carved deep cornice on shafts; hipped roof. To left return a bowed projection with buttress and window to left; three 2-light gabled dormers, one of which is over service wing with banding and buttresses; C20 rebuilding behind facade. 3-window right return has 2-light windows and gabled dormers; to right end a 3-storey canted bay window with roundels over cusped lights and statues in niches to cants; pavilion roof. Rear of wing has pointed window to ground floor with stained glass, 3 trefoil-headed windows to 1st floor and rose window under Florentine arch to gable, which has end stack and stack to projection to right. To right of this is a gabled porch with cusped arch on columns and 2 pointed lights over, and projecting wing with left return of 2-window range with gable over 2-storey canted bay window with hipped stone roof and projecting gabled bay with 3-light ground floor window with carved shields over, deep brackets to 1st floor balcony and 2-light window with relief carving to tympanum and 2-light gable window; end has 2 stacks and chapel with canted end, steep roof and 2-light windows; frieze with inlaid lettering and coped parapet. Rest of rear range has sash windows and attached C20 rear wing. Service range to right end has pierced parapet and windows with shouldered lintels over 6-light sashes; large external stack with offsets; to end a tower with carriage entrance under 3-centred head and string course raised over inscription panel, top crenellated parapet; single-storey C20 range to right. Relief panels over ground floor windows to main facades by Edward Clarke to designs by HH Armstead, and illustrate the Shirley family history. INTERIOR: entrance hall has rich chimneypiece, 1857; arcade to staircase hall. Dining room has C15 or C16 doorway; C18 inlaid teak and walnut panelling and late C18 chimneypiece. The library has 1824 remodelling: ogee-arched and traceried doorway; chimneypiece incorporating 2-light window copied from one at Windsor; cornice with Tudor flower and ribbed ceiling with pendants; traceried bookcases. Drawing room has C19 beamed ceiling and fireplace. Gallery has 1860s bookcases and stained glass. Room to south has overmantel relief of the signing of the warrant for the arrest of John Wilkes and others in 1763. Chapel has some remains of murals, and stained glass. The most important and impressive High Victorian house in the county. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 289; Shirley EP: Ettington: its Manor House and Church: London: 1880-; Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 96-8; Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 16, 25, 39-41).
Listing NGR: SP2474247332
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 289
Shirley, E P, Ettingham: its Manor House and Church, (1880)
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guide' in Warwickshire, (), 96-98
Tyack, G C, 'Occasional Papers' in The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939, (1989), 39-41
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing