CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382865.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:57:04.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 15868 51917
SP1551 Church of All Saints 1931-1/8/172 05/04/67
Church. Late C15 nave and chancel (nave slightly later), with late C17/early C18 south porch; south aisle destroyed, probably in C17; restored 1899. MATERIALS: dressed blue lias, partly covered in pebbledash, with ashlar dressings; renewed and old tile roof. PLAN: 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave with west tower and south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel has pebbledash, later gabled diagonal buttresses with tiled gablets, quoins and coped gable; 3-light Perpendicular east window has hood-mould with roundel stops; north side has straight-headed 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window with cusped lights; similar window to south, probably renewed in C17, to east of priest's doorway with 3-centred head, C17 relief decoration to arch and label mould, plank door with fleur-de-lys ends to strap hinges. Nave has moulded plinth and off-set buttresses, one diagonal buttress to north-east and south-west; cornice and crenellated parapet with continuous roll moulding and gargoyles, pinnacles missing; north side has Tudor-arched entrance with wide hollow-chamfer and is blocked, triple-chamfered mullioned windows of 3 plus 3 cusped lights with hollow-chamfered mullions and double-chamfered king mullions; south side has entrance with 4-centred head in hollow-chamfered architrave and old door with feather battens, set in hipped porch with segmental-headed arch, which has ex-situ scratch dial to jamb. 3- plus 3-light window to west; 2 pointed arches with continuous hollow-chamfers to east with inserted C17 pegged wooden 4-light transomed windows, no crenellations above and wall monument below to Mary Medes, d.1708, has bolection-moulded inscription panel and pediment; south-east squint with 2 small cusped lights. Tower has alternate narrow courses, moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses; cornice and crenellations similar to nave, with 4 gargoyles; 4-light west window with Perpendicular tracery; 2-light double-chamfered mullioned bell-openings with cusped lights and louvres; north-east stair turret with cusped light. INTERIOR: chancel has roof ceiled over collars, squint has 2 blocked quatrefoils visible below lights; 3-centred chancel arch has continuous hollow chamfers. Nave has roof with ovolo-moulded tie beams and purlins; 4-centred tower arch has Tudor-headed doorway to right with wide-boarded door; rough beams to upper floor of tower. FITTINGS: chancel has C17 wainscoting to east bay; c1923 altar rail has turned balusters; plain early C20 stalls with enriched friezes and fleurons. Nave has simple wainscoting; timber pulpit on coved base has linenfold panelling; floor to south-east has medieval encaustic tiles of Stonleigh patterns with heraldic and foliate designs, floor to north-east has some fragments of incised stones and part of indent for brass; C19 octagonal font with tracery panels; plain pews have vine, oak, thistle etc trail patterns to backs. 1960 organ to tower. MEMORIALS: chancel has brasses to Sir John Grevill, d.1546, and Sir Edward Grevill, d.1559 flanking altar, both with figure in armour on inscription panel; 3 early C19 wall tablets to members of the Adkins family of Milcote. STAINED GLASS: window in nave has lozenge quarries with boats with canopies, possibly an heraldic badge. (Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 200 FF; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 468-9).
Listing NGR: SP1586451918
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 468-469
Styles, P, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1945), 200ff
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing