Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382905.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:58:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mendip (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 55110 45946



ST5445 CATHEDRAL GREEN 662-1/7/37 (North side) 12/11/53 The Music School and attached walls (Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL GREEN (North side) Library of Theological College)


Former house of the Archdeacon of Wells, now music school. Largely rebuilt by Archdeacon Holes c1450-70, possibly retaining some C13 work, extensively restored 1886 by Edmund Buckle. Local stone roughly squared and coursed, with ashlar chimney stacks, slate roof. PLAN: a large full-height hall, cross passage to the left, and rooms on 2 floors and attic left, with staircase turret front, left. EXTERIOR: front elevation of 6 bays. Plinth, parapet string and battlemented parapet, corner turrets with conical roofs and crocketed finials. Perpendicular-traceried windows with cinquefoil cusping; bay 1 has 3-light windows to two levels, the lower having a segmental relieving arch over, the upper has a transom and a flat label mould; bay 2 an octagonal plan projection with hipped roof, with small windows at lower level; bay 3 is a projecting porch almost as far as bay 2, with large elliptical C19 arch framing a 2-light window and a pointed arched doorway, ornamented battlemented parapet, above which is a 3-light transomd window with flat label, and in roof a C19 dormer with pitched roof; bay 4 has a projecting solar window with chamfered corners, not to full height, with pair of 2-light transomd windows with arched heads on south face, and single 2-light windows to SW, SE and east faces under battlemented parapet; bays 5 and 6 have later 2-light windows with transoms and a different tracery pattern, with relieving arches and no labels. In the south-east corner are jamb and part of the arch of an earlier door. West gable has three 4-centred blocked arches at low level, an offset at eaves level, and in the gable a circular window divided into 5 parts by C19 tracery, with a trefoil cusped window above. The north elevation modified by a lean-to house at rear, but has 2-light arched traceried window to east bay and deeper transomd windows for the next two bays. INTERIOR: the main entrance cross-passage has 2 transverse beams with chamfers to run-out stops. To the right the hall, entered through a pair of fielded-panel doors, has an 8-bay arch-braced collar roof with chamfered purlins and 4 ranges of broad chamfered wind-braces, in X-form, to a diagonal ridge, with flat rafters, boarded, on a brattished plate over open cusped lights and a further brattished lower member, with a deep carved inscribed frieze. Near the east end on north side a cusped recess apparently of C13 date. At the E end is a plain wall with oculus, and a gallery on scrolled brackets, returned to the N side, with a series of thin turned balusters to arches in groups of 5, and a deep handrail. At the W end is a gallery with a free-standing spiral stair and similar balustrade. At the ground floor level is a C19 stone fireplace with frieze and mantelshelf, on octagonal pilasters. The frieze inscription reads: 'Omnis Scriba doctus in regno coelorum similis est homini patrifamilias qui profert de thesauro suo nova et veta .... Sacerdotis custodient licentiam et legem requirent ex die eius quia angelus Domini exercitum est MDCCCXL'. This may replace the 'monkish verses' said to have been here in 1680. The rooms at the far side of the cross-passage are mainly in late C19 detail, but the attic storey still retains heavy principals and purlins of earlier date. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the SW corner a short length of tall wall with coping and gateway to the west, having plain square ashlar piers with simple plinth and pyramid caps, with C20 timber gates, then enclosing front area, with quadrant curve on SW corner, a wall approximately 1m high with pitched roll-top ashlar coping, with gap opposite porch, continued to a matching gateway at the east end against the Vicars' Hall (qv), with a tall return all northwards back to the SE corner of the building, adding to the setting of this building and to the street scene of the Cathedral Green. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building remained a house when Polydore Vergil, author of "Historia Anglia" was forced to surrender it to the Crown in 1555. In the late C18 it became a brewery, but after the 1886 restoration it served for 90 years as the Library to the now defunct Wells Theological College, and in 1955 came to the Cathedral School. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 319; Bailey S: Canonical Houses of Wells: Gloucester: 1982-: 123).

Listing NGR: ST5511045946


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Bailey, S, Canonical Houses of Wells, (1982), 123
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 319


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03230/02
Rights: Copyright IoE John Boothroyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].