23, MARKET PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383022
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-2000
Statutory Address:
23, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383022.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:29:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
23, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55045 45811

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/160 (North side) 12/11/53 No.23 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))

GV II*

House with shop. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified in C19. Ashlar stonework colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, single wide bay. Ground floor has very fine mid C19 projecting shop front (shared with No.21 (qv)) over about two-thirds of facade, with 2-light display windows over stall riser with ornamental cast-iron vents, with panelled pilasters and return on right side, cast-iron window mullions, shallow fascia and cornice with shop blind on console brackets. Details continued on both return and remainder of facade, where there is a glazed door with semicircular radially glazed fanlight. Upper floors appear to have lost the former bay windows; the first floor has a composite sash window of 18+36+18 panes in plain reveals, the second floor a 2-light 8-pane casement. Traces of a medieval moulding (on a rake above the doorway, and of the medieval string course below the parapet, pierced by second-floor window, downpipe with hopper-head to the left. Stack on raised and coped verge to the left. INTERIOR: ground floor re modelled in C20, rear wall contains chamfered stone 4-centred doorway, and in the rear section a glass panel in the wall reveals a lower watercourse. Early C18 stair to first floor, turned balusters (but alternate balusters removed) and capped newels, dado-rail to wall, swept, and with wreathed foot. First floor has variety of moulded and chamfered beams. Upper stair is C20, and top floor has timber-framed and plastered E party wall, and fireplace in W wall; the rear wall has a small pointed light at the eaves. 2-bay roof with arch-braced trusses, chamfered wind-braces and 2 chamfered purlins. There is a cellar under the front part of the shop. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).





Listing NGR: ST5504445817

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483440
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16372/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]uk.