Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383153.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 22:38:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mendip (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 55603 46168



ST5446 ST THOMAS STREET 662-1/6/293 (South side) 13/09/72 Church of St Thomas


Anglican parish church. 1856-7, extended 1864, by SS Teulon as a memorial to Dean Richard Kenkyns. Local stone, squared and banded in red and grey, with Doulting ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof with coloured diamond banding, coped gables. PLAN/EXTERIOR: composite plan of 5-bay nave, same width apsidal chancel, narrow north aisle and wide (1854) south aisle, north porch, and north-east tower with spire incorporating organ chamber, and vestry. Plinth, sill band course all round. Chancel a half duo-decagon on plan, with buttresses having 2 offsets on each angle, flanking 2-light Geometric style traceried windows with arched head-stop labels, traceried parapet. Choir vestry on south to match (added 1926). South aisle has 2- and 3-light geometric traceried windows, with eaves moulding featuring ball-flower ornament. North aisle has gables with iron finials over each 2-light traceried window, with a single-light window in the west wall. Porch has a deeply moulded outer arch fitted with mid C20 glazed doors, side buttresses, and 3-bay arcading to each side, with inner arch to match. West elevation has a 5-light window to nave, and a 4-light window to the south aisle. The spire has a single-stage banded tower with a 3-light north window and a clock in a gabled decorative recess. the corner buttresses are extended into crocketed finials, with statues of the four Evangelists on the corners. Between these finials a 2-light trefoil-arched traceried open window with stone grills, set under ornamental gables, small gabletted vents halfway up sire, and pierced trefoil vents near top, the 45m spire is capped with an elaborate iron weathervane, octagonal stair turret in SE corner having pitched roof. INTERIOR: the roof frame is crown-post truss variant, with ogee windbraces and coloured plaster infill panels, the columns to the arcades relatively slim, with foliated capitals, no dividing arch between nave and chancel. Wide use of polychromy and stencilled decoration, extended reredos has much elaborately carved pulpit and font, much of the furniture including ornate lock to north door to Teulon's design. Green tinted glass with patterned caning and vines drawn in outline. A striking church with excellent detail, commanded externally by the very fine octagonal spire; one of Teulon's more harmonious compositions; Skidmore's tubular altar rails, Wailes's glass, the mosaic glitter and coloured marble shafts between the panels and the crocketed niches of the reredos, together with the angel corbels provide a sumptuous effect. (Saunders M: The Architectural Outsiders: London: 1988-).

Listing NGR: ST5560346168


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Saunders, M, 'The Architectural Outsiders' in The Architectural Outsiders, (1988)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12822/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].