Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383978.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:00:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Lakeland (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SD 70525 87040



SD7087 MAIN STREET, Dent Town 162-1/24/184 (North side) 16/03/54 Church of St Andrew


Parish church. Probably C12, enlarged and remodelled in early C16, with some fabric believed to be Norman; tower said to have been added in later C18; much renewed in 1889. Mixed random rubble with quoins; stone slate roof to nave, copper roofs to aisles. Mostly simple Perpendicular style. PLAN: nave and chancel in one, with full-length north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. EXTERIOR: the square unbuttressed tower, with an embattled parapet, has a square-headed doorway in the south side, a small window in the west side and small 2-light belfry windows with cusped lights and stone louvres. A lean-to in its north angle (continued form the north aisle) has a round-headed doorway with a stone slate drip-band over it. The nave has 4 clerestory windows of 2 round-headed lights and the chancel continues with two 3-light clerestory windows which have cusped lights, all these windows with hoodmoulds. The south aisle has a gabled porch at the west end with a round-headed doorway moulded in 2 orders and a C19 2-centred arched inner doorway; and 5 tall square-headed mullioned windows of various sizes (a buttress between the 3rd and 4th windows), all with round-headed lights: a 2-light window next to the porch, with Perpendicular tracery in the head, a tall 3-light window and a shorter 3-light window, all variously restored, then 2 original C16 3-light windows. All these windows have hoodmoulds with dropped ends and the second one has mask stops. Below the 4th window is a small round-headed priest door. The north aisle has a blocked round-headed doorway to the 1st bay, with a chamfered surround, a square 2-light mullioned window above and to the left, and then four tall 3-light windows with hoodmoulds, like those of the south aisle. The east end has a large segmental-headed 5-light east window with a transom flanked by 3-light windows, all these windows restored. INTERIOR: 3+3 bay nave and chancel arcades of 2-centred double-chamfered arches, the former (probably early C13) with 2 cylindrical columns between octagonal terminal piers which appear to have been designed for different arcading (and those at the west end partly enclosed by the masonry of the tower, which has no opening), and the latter (probably C16) with octagonal columns. The 2 eastern bays have balustraded screens to the choir (probably C19); the choir and chancel are paved on 2 levels with polished Dent marble in black and white chequer pattern. Octagonal oak pedestal pulpit with lozenges in the side panels, bracketed desk with carved frieze including raised lettering "M T 1614", and a sounding-board. The south aisle contains 5 original C17 box pews with carved decoration, some with initials and dates, and early C18 benches with fielded panel backs and initials worked in metal studs; and the north aisle has early C18 enclosed side-benches in 2 tiers, with a late C17 box pew at each end. Wall monuments: in the south aisle, 2 early C18 pedimented sandstone aedicules with fluted pilasters and dentilled entablatures (now laminating and the tablets illegible), a marble wall tablet commemorating Adam Sedgwick (1785-1873, Woodwardian Professor of Geology, Cambridge University) and another commemorating his son (vicar of Dent); in the north aisle, a pair of marble wall tablets to members of the Sill family of West House (now known as Whernside Manor, qv), including John Sill "of Providence in the Island of Jamaica", d.1774, and another to Emma, widow of General Brownrigg (d.1815 at Broadfield House, qv).

Listing NGR: SD7051887040


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12616/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].