This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1384479



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1998

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Dec-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484913

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/10/17

SD 5805 SW, 24-1/8/25

WIGAN, KING STREET (North-East side), Nos. 48 AND 50, Former Royal Court Theatre

(Formerly Listed as: KING STREET (North East side) Nos. 48 AND 50 (The Royal Court Theatre))




Theatre, subsequently cinema, bingo hall when surveyed. 1886 and 1895, by RT Johnson; altered. Red brick in English garden wall bond with dressings of matching red terracotta and some yellow brick (roof concealed but probably slate). Large rectangular plan at right-angles to street. Eclectic style, with some Renaissance detailing. EXTERIOR: Three storeys and five bays, with 2-storey projected foyer (added 1895): this has fluted pilasters to both floors (Ionic at first floor but partially concealed at ground floor by C20 fascia), a continuous dentilled cornice and geometrical cast-iron balustrade; at ground floor, a round-headed doorway in the centre with banded pilasters, flanked by recessed entrances with wooden panelled and plate-glass doors, and shop windows in the outer bays; at first floor, a window in the centre with leaded stained glass and an elaborate broken-pedimented architrave with an oculus immediately above set in a swan-necked architrave, and large depressed-arched 6-light transomed windows in the other bays with moulded terracotta surrounds and leaded stained glass in the upper lights. Above and behind is the gabled end of the main range, which has four round-headed windows with mask keystones of red terracotta, an egg-and-dart frieze, a round-headed window in the gable flanked by sunk panels with raised lettering "ROYAL COURT" "THEATRE"; and stepped gable coping with a flaming-urn finial, flanked by yellow terracotta balustrading over the outer bays. INTERIOR: foyer with a pair of composite columns flanking the foot of an imperial staircase with brass handrail; auditorium with two curved balconies, the first with Adam-style moulded plaster decoration (the upper now enclosed); side walls with large pictorial relief panels flanking the proscenium; proscenium arch with moulded plaster enrichment, the top now concealed by suspended ceiling; upper gallery now disused but retains steeply-raked stepped floor (and inserted projection room in centre), and visible from it the top of the proscenium arch with moulded plaster pictorial scene and figures over it, and very large circular gilded ceiling dome. Despite some alteration firstly as cinema and latterly as bingo hall, still essentially intact.

Listing NGR: SD5832705476

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 58327 05476


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jun-2018 at 09:23:16.

End of official listing