CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384484

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, LORNE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 14:28:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, LORNE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 59224 05689

Details

WIGAN

SD50NE LORNE STREET 24-1/2/31 Church of St Catherine 11/07/83

II

Church. 1840, by Edmund Sharpe of Lancaster. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Gothick Early English. PLAN: nave and aisles in one vessel, with south vestry, short chancel, west steeple linked to nave by short narthex with stair-turrets in angles. EXTERIOR: square 2-stage tower with gabled sides, angle-buttresses and corner pinnacles, mediated to a tall octagonal belfry also with gabled sides, carrying a tall octagonal spire with lucarnes on 2 levels: the tower has a 2-centred arched west doorway with deep moulded surround and hood-mould, and stepped triple-lancet windows in each side of the upper stage with metal clock-faces in the gables over them; the belfry has slender angle buttresses, a narrow lancet in each side with a blind multifoil in the gable above, and finials to the gables of the cardinal sides. The stair-turrets have angle-buttresses carried up to pinnacles, and a lancet in each side. The 6-bay aisles, with small buttresses and parapets with ridged coping, have a pair of lancets in each bay; the south aisle has a low vestry to the 6th bay with arched doorway and windows, and hipped roof. The chancel has a stepped triple-lancet east window. All windows have hood-moulds with small foliated stops. INTERIOR: single vessel with short sanctuary; trefoil-panelled galleries on 3 sides carried on cast-iron columns, organ on west gallery; box pews (removed from west end which is now partitioned off by glazed screen); queen-strut roof with wrought-iron straps; octagonal pulpit on unusually high slender pedestal; panelled Gothic-style war memorial at west end dated 1922. Forms group with boundary wall of churchyard (qv), and with St Catherine's vicarage to south (qv).



Listing NGR: SD5922405689

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 484918

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/45386
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/45388

End of official listing