FORMER YORKSHIRE BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384544
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
FORMER YORKSHIRE BANK, 22, WALLGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 17:40:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER YORKSHIRE BANK, 22, WALLGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 58200 05624

Details

WIGAN

SD5805NW WALLGATE 24-1/7/94 (West side) No.22 Former Yorkshire Bank

GV II

Bank, now betting office with offices over. Dated 1884 on pediment over corner; by Isitt and Verity; ground floor altered 1908 by Greenwood of Manchester; slightly altered in C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings, ground floor mostly rebuilt in Jurassic limestone; green slate mansard roof. Trapeziform plan on acutely-angled corner site. Free Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic, with a featured one-window corner and 2-window returns; with a granite plinth, channelled ashlar ground floor with plain frieze and moulded cornice; very prominent coved eaves cornice with carved festoons of fruit, interrupted by attic gables at the corner and in the 2nd bay of each return. At ground floor the corner has a round-headed doorway flanked by enriched Ionic columns with prominent foliated consoles carrying a segmental canopy; the 2nd bay to the Wallgate facade (unaltered in 1908) has a large doorway with carved sandstone surround including a large oeil-de-boeuf overlight; otherwise, rectangular windows with plain C20 glazing. On the upper floors, the featured corner has a bowed mullion-and-transom oriel at 1st floor with balustraded parapet, a 6-light mullion-and-transom window at 2nd floor, a 2-light attic window in a gable with swan-neck pediment monogrammed "1884", and a pavilion roof behind this. The right-hand return (to Wallgate) has a cross-window and a large canted oriel at 1st floor, mullion-and-transom windows at 2nd floor, and a 2-light attic window in a gable with carved pediment; the left return has coupled windows in place of the oriel but is otherwise similar. INTERIOR not inspected. The offices were not occupied at the time of the survey. Makes important contribution to streetscape in close proximity to Church of All Saints (qv), grouping also with Bees Knees Public House to left (qv), and with Nos 12 to 20 (qv) adjoining to the right.



Listing NGR: SD5820005624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484979
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16583/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].