TIVERTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1384869
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Apr-2000
Statutory Address:
TIVERTON CASTLE, PARK HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384869.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Apr-2021 at 22:48:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
TIVERTON CASTLE, PARK HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tiverton
National Grid Reference:
SS 95438 12897

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 PARK HILL, Tiverton 848-1/6/158 (West side) 12/02/52 Tiverton Castle (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE WARD Castle)

GV I

Castle, the seat of the Courtenay family (Earls of Devon), from the late C13 until 1539 (Pevsner). C14 core with evidence for major phases of rebuilding in the seventeenth century, after the Civil War, by Peter West, a Tiverton merchant, and in the late C17. Extensions and alterations of the C19. MATERIALS: local purple volcanic stone, some rubble, some coursed, the earlier fabric with volcanic and Beerstone dressings. The C19 work has Ham Hill dressings. Slate and lead roofs; stacks with brick and rendered shafts. PLAN: the castle is sited high above the river, just south of the parish church (qv). The plan is a courtyard arrangement, with the gatehouse in the east range, flanked by guardrooms with accommodation over. The north range is largely ruinous, but with sections of medieval walling surviving to the former roof level. The west side consists of the remains of retaining walls including the bases of two towers. There is a ruinous solar tower at the south-west corner of the site and a round tower at the south-east corner. The complex contains a late C17 house, extended probably in the late C19, sited in the north-east corner of the courtyard. A second house, Castle Barton (qv), is sited outside the walls and listed separately, as is a lodge, Castle Lodge (qv). The visible fourteenth century fabric is the two inner (west) bays of the gatehouse, which was extended to the east by one bay in the C15 and has been reduced from three storeys to two since 1734, judging from an engraving by Buck. The ruinous south wall of the south range is also C14, variously interpreted as a domestic range or a chapel over services, and the solar tower at the south-west corner. The site of the C14 hall is unclear. A gabled projection off the east range is dated 1588 with the initials RG for Robert Gifford, but there is little visible sixteenth-century fabric. The east range appears to have been partly remodelled in the C17, including a late C17 stair and ovolo-moulded mullioned windows. Somewhat later in the C17, the house in the north-east corner was added or rebuilt.



Listing NGR: SS9545412931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485328
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Tiverton Castle, Tiverton, Devon, (1992)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15699/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hopkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].