UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384959
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Apr-2000
Statutory Address:
UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, ST PETER STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384959.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 03:21:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, ST PETER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tiverton
National Grid Reference:
SS 95374 12568

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 ST PETER STREET, Tiverton 848-1/6/318 United Reformed Church 12/02/52 (Formerly Listed as: ST PETER'S STREET (West side) Congregational Church)

GV II

United Reformed Church (formerly Congregational). 1831 (Pevsner), with later C19 features inside, foundation date of chapel on site 1660 (datestone). Grey limestone ashlar; slate roof concealed behind parapet. STYLE: described as "cheerfully eclectic" by Pevsner. PLAN: end on to the street, immediately north of the memorial rooms (separately listed). Rectangular galleried plan. EXTERIOR: 3-bay, the outer bays slightly broken forward, shallow pedimented gable over the central bay with a large square-on-plan finial. String course below upper tier of windows and coved cornice to outer bays below plain coped parapet with modillion frieze below centre bay and short sections of horizontal modillion frieze in outer bays. Central round-headed doorway with hoodmould with label stops; steps up to sliding doors with vertical sunk panels and blind timber arched fanlight with Gothick detail. The doorway was lit by a good late C19 lamp at the apex on a fancy, stout, scrolled cast-iron bracket. Ground-floor windows have round-headed recessed arches with hoodmoulds to the inner order, windows glazed with 6-pane fixed lights. Tall, round-headed gallery windows in the outer bays with hoodmoulds. Fixed windows with glazing bars and a roundel in the head. Similar triple window in the centre bay with continuous hoodmould. Rear elevation has hipped roof and one very tall round-headed louvred opening. INTERIOR: partially inspected. C19 gallery on columns with cast-iron balustrade; stout late C19 benches with shaped ends; late C19 or early C20 organ case. This building forms a good C19 grey limestone group with the Memorial Rooms and No.2 St Peter Street (qqv) to the south. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 807).



Listing NGR: SS9537412568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485418
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 807

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14090/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cornwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].