This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GATE CINEMA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GATE CINEMA

List entry Number: 1385016

Location

THE GATE CINEMA, NOTTING HILL GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Oct-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ2580SW NOTTING HILL GATE 249/25/10210 Notting Hill 05-OCT-00 (South side) The Gate Cinema

GV II

Cinema and attached shops. Opened in 1911 as the Electric Palace, converted from a restaurant of 1861 to the designs of William Hancock. The foyer and offices above it were reconstructed again in 1962 by Douton and Hurst as part of a London County Council street widening scheme. Stock brick, with faience clad steel-framed modern-style facade to Notting Hill Gate. Long rectangular auditorium on a single level entered via small foyer, with rear fire exits directly on to back street. Above are two storeys of offices, and there is a basement.

EXTERIOR. Faience-clad three-storey facade to Notting Hill Gate has at ground level, the entrance to the cinema ranged to the left with shop units to the right. Above are six vertical windows on two floors, ranged to the right. The faience cladding continues around to the left return where the 1962 work is terminated by the entrance doors to offices above the cinema, over which is a glazed curtain-wall for a stair hall. Four more windows on two floors in the faience clad part of the return. All the windows are metal-framed with horizontal top and bottom panes, dividing panes in the middle. Simple concrete cornice. A canopy with a raking underside extends along the frontage, continuing around to the return; the front edge of the canopy supports two film advertising light box displays. The foyer is fully glazed, and has glass entrance doors with bronzed handles in the form of scrolling film. The remaining section of the left return and the rear walls are in stock brick with gauged brick headers over the windows and doorways. The return rear corner is angled with a doorway for access to the basement. The rear part of the two-storey office block is supported by the roof of the cinema auditorium.

INTERIOR. Small foyer with access to the auditorium through a door in the right-hand corner. The auditorium runs to the left at a ninety degree angle to the foyer. Long, narrow auditorium with a raking floor and baroque decoration. The side walls are divided into bays by pilasters, each bay having two panels. Dado (with moulded rail), which also serves as a plinth for the pilasters. Each pilaster has a capital in the form of a simplified triglyph, while each panel is bordered by mouldings with corner ears, the top edges surmounted by scrolling foliage. Narrow ornamented cornice. The ceiling is heavily coffered with ovolo enclosing each square, the bays being demarcated by bars of abundant plaster fruit. In the centre of each coffer is an acanthus roundel. The projection room is at the rear of the auditorium and the proscenium is obscured by recent drapery surrounding the cinema screen.

Shop interiors not of special interest.

ANALYSIS. A little-altered early cinema auditorium with exceptionally lavish Edwardian baroque plaster decoration.

SOURCES Malcolm Webb, Greater London's Suburban Cinemas 1946-1986, Amber Valley Typesetting Services, Birmingham, 1986, p.62 Richard Gray, Cinemas in Britain, Lund Humphries, London, 1996, p.25, p.139 Ken Roe, The Cinemas and Theatres of Notting Hill Gate and Shepherd's Bush, unpublished Cinema Theatre Association notes, 1998, pp.3-5 Martin Tapsell, `The Oldest Cinema', in Picture House, Cinema Theatre Association, no.24, Autumn 1999, p.7

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gray, R, Cinemas in Britain One Hundred Years of Cinema Architecture, (1996), 25, 139
Webb, M, Greater London's Suburban Cinemas 1946-1986, (1986), 62
Tapsell, M, 'Picture House' in 24, (1999), 7

National Grid Reference: TQ 25200 80402

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385016 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2018 at 05:59:21.

End of official listing