Tower and Portal of Church of St Mary, Newington

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385636
Date first listed:
17-Sep-1998
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Dec-2018
Statutory Address:
Tower and Portal of Church of St Mary, Kennington Park Road, London, SE11 4JQ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385636.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 14:18:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
Tower and Portal of Church of St Mary, Kennington Park Road, London, SE11 4JQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3167478385

Summary

A church tower and portal, of 1876 in Early English style by James Fowler of Louth. The remainder of the church was demolished following an air raid in 1941.

Reasons for Designation

The tower and portal to the Church of St Mary in Newington, of 1876, designed by James Fowler of Louth, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* architecturally distinctive and constructed in good quality Kentish ragstone and ashlar with carved arches, colonnettes and sculptural details.

Historic interest:

* as the surviving element of the former Church of St Mary, destroyed in 1941 by enemy bombs.

Group value:

* proximal and functional group value with the rebuilt Church of St Mary of 1957-1958 to the designs of Sir Arthur Llewellyn Smith.

History

The tower and attached portal are the remaining part of the 1876 Church of St Mary, Newington, built to the designs of James Fowler of Louth which was hit by a bomb during an air raid on 10 May 1941.

A replacement church was designed and built in 1957-1958 by the architect Arthur Llewellyn Smith immediately to the south-east but is not attached to this structure.

Details

A church tower and portal, of 1876 in Early English style by James Fowler of Louth. The remainder of the church was demolished following an air raid in 1941.

MATERIALS: Kentish ragstone with ashlar details.

PLAN: a square on plan four-stage tower with an attached single-storey portal wall to the north-east.

EXTERIOR: the tapering tower has corner buttresses and octagonal pinnacles with conical roofs to the parapet. The bell stage has wooden louvres within triple arches; the third stage has trefoil arches and colonnettes and a clock face on the north-east side; the second stage has an arched window with colonnette and the lowest stage has an arched doorcase with wooden double doors. The south-east side has cement rendering to the two lower stages, a large arched opening and a smaller Caernarvon-arched doorway.

The portal wall retains an elaborately moulded arched doorway. The outer portion of this has a pointed arch supported by piers with two attached columns to either side, and the inner part has a semicircular cusped arch carried by piers with one attached column each. The tympanum under the arch has a sculpted figure of Christ in Majesty framed by a mandorla with demi figures of angels and banners on each side.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471040
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bridget, Cherry, Nikolaus, Pevsner, The Buildings of England London: 2 South, (1994), 576
Websites
Exploring Southwark, St Mary's Newington, accessed 18 July 2018 from http://www.exploringsouthwark.co.uk/st-marys-newington/4592211461
Survey of London, Vol 25, St George's Fields, The Church of St Mary, Newington, 1955, pp 91-94, accessed 18 July 2018 from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol25/pp91-94

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03252/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].