WINCHESTER HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1385917

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1998

Statutory Address: WINCHESTER HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 94 (PART), SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINCHESTER HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385917 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:43:59.

Location

Statutory Address: WINCHESTER HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 94 (PART), SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 32111 79898

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3279 SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD 636-1/5/701 (West side) 27/09/72 No.94 (PART) Winchester House and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD (West side) No.94A Winchester House)

II

Part of St Saviour's Workhouse, now part of Southwark Fire Station and Fire Brigade Training Centre. 1777. By George Gwilt the elder. Eastern wing (facing main road) aggrandized and converted into 2 houses, early C19. Practice tower added to rear c1880 by Alfred Mott (in connection with its later use as a fire training centre). MATERIALS: main elevation: brown brick with stucco details and cornice with brick parapet, hipped slate roof with red tile cresting. PLAN: rectangular plan (with rear wing). EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, 11 bays. Central 3 bays articulated by 4 giant stucco Ionic pilasters supporting entablature and balustraded parapet above. Outer bays flanked by sunk panelled pilasters supporting entablature and balustraded parapets. Pair of modified Doric porches at 2nd bay from each end. Tall ground-floor windows with stucco architraves and cornices, that in right end bay with console bracketed pediment. C20 1-storey projection at left end bay. 1st and 2nd floors have sash windows with glazing bars, gauged, flat brick arches and stucco sills, those to central 3 bays with console bracketed cornices. Return elevation much plainer. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: metal railings and brick piers of late C19 enclosing forecourt. HISTORICAL NOTE: the workhouse became a hat factory and residence in the early C19, and in 1878, when the Metropolitan Fire Brigade moved their headquarters here under Captain Shaw, a training school. The building forms an important group with the Gothic-style fire station built to its left in 1878 (qv). A Gothic extension of 1883 by Robert Pearsall, which hid the former workhouse building from the main road, was demolished after the war.





Listing NGR: TQ3211179898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 471337

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing