CHURCH HOUSE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1386071
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1998
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE FARMHOUSE, CLEWERS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HOUSE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386071.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 11:21:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE FARMHOUSE, CLEWERS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Shedfield
National Grid Reference:
SU 55906 15883

Details

SU 51 NE BISHOPS WALTHAM CLEWERS HILL

1879/4/10014 Church House Farmhouse

II

House, formerly farmhouse. Circa late C17. Flemish bond red brick with vitrified headers; English, Flemish and random bond brick at rear; brick platband at first floor level. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends. Brick gable-end stacks; NW stack with weathered set-offs; thrown clay pots. PLAN: L-shaped on plan; two rooms in the north range, parlour with gable-end fireplace to the west and unheated room to east, and with kitchen in the south east wing with a gable-end fireplace; entrance in the SW angle and stairs at the junction of the SE wing. Single-storey outshut extended to conservatory at rear and outbuilding converted to conservatory on south end of SE wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. The front comprises the inner SW sides of the 1-window ranges, the platband raised up over the entrance in the corner with C20 lean-to porch; C20 casements, ground floor left C20 bow window, ground floor right with flat brick arch. Rear [N] blocked central doorway, garden door to right and casements to left; east side has C20 ground floor window and small round-headed stair window to right of centre on each floor, ground floor within C20 conservatory with iron grille. INTERIOR: Unchamfered ceiling beams and exposed joists on ground and first floors; C20 brick chimneypieces. Dog-leg stair rising to attic. Attics ceiled, roof of queen-strut form. HISTORY: Church Farmhouse is situated in the park of the bishop's palace in Bishop's Waltham. After the Bishop's Waltham estate had been returned to the bishopric at the Restoration, the park was divided into farms to raise money for repairs to Farnham Castle. Church House Farm was probably one of those farms. SOURCE: Roberts, E., The Bishop of Winchester's Deer Parks in Hampshire, 1200-1400; Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society, 1988; 44; 67-86.



Listing NGR: SU5553418419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471493
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Roberts, E, 'Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club' in The Bishop of Winchester's deer parks in Hampshire, 1200-1400, (1988), 44, 67-86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02206/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter MacLeod. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].