ASSIZE COURTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388488

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: ASSIZE COURTS, CASTLE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASSIZE COURTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 09:15:30.

Location

Statutory Address: ASSIZE COURTS, CASTLE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 97432 71900

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NW CASTLE HILL 1941-1/8/64 Assize Courts 08/10/53

GV II*

Assize courts. 1823. By Sir Robert Smirke. South entrance porch early C20. Ashlar with slate roofs and 4 coped ashlar side wall stacks. Crenellated Gothick style. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, eaves bands, parapets, crenellated octagonal corner turrets. 2 storeys, 9 bays. Pointed arched windows with hoodmoulds. Projecting centre, 3 bays, has a central four-centred arched doorway with multiple flanking shafts, and above, three 2-light windows. Above them, in the parapet, the Royal arms. On either side, an arcaded passage, 5 bays, ending in a square pavilion with a single lancet. In each passage, five 2-light windows, and at each end, a door with a lamp bracket above it. Above, on either side, 3 smaller lancets. North and south ends have buttresses and 5 single lancets. South end has a hipped single storey porch, L-plan. Rear elevation has 2 wings, 3 bays, roofed parallel to the main range, and flanking a lower centre. All have parapets. The inner gables of the wings have each 3 lancets with latticed iron glazing bars. INTERIOR: entrance has 3 chamfered pointed arched openings to the central stairway. The outer arches have glazed screens. Both courtrooms have stepped stone floors, Gothick friezes with blind arcading and shafts above, and cross beamed ceilings with dogtooth decoration. Criminal Court (No.1) has a moulded cornice with angel corbels. Civil Court (No.2) has corbels and frieze only above the judge's seat. Both courts have arcaded panelled enclosures for the magistrates and ogee canopies over the judges' seats. Above, panelled galleries with C20 octagonal piers. C20 panelled wooden fittings and seats. No.1 Court has the C19 dock. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 506).



Listing NGR: SK9743271900

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485933

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 506

End of official listing