TF3244SE SOUTH STREET
716-1/7/169 (East side)
20/11/75 Nos.2 AND 4
Guildhall, now shops, offices and entertainments hall. c1400,
C17, restored and extended by Sir George Gilbert Scott 1873.
Timber-framed with lath and plaster nogging, and red brick
with plain tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: main timber-framed facade to South Street, 3 storeys
plus attics, with jettied 1st and 2nd floors. 2 large bays,
each topped by a C19 bargeboarded gable. 2 tall brick ridge
stacks. Ground floor has 8, four-centred arches, 3 to right
form shop, No.2, and 2 to left form shop, No.4, 2 arches
between have studded doors to offices above. Both shops have
central doors flanked by glazing bar shop windows. 1st floor
has arch-braced box framing with plaster panels decorated with
Tudor roses. Each bay has a group of one 3-light and two
4-light wooden traceried mullion windows. Above each bay has a
group of four 3-light similar windows. Above again gables have
diamond brace, decorative framing, with a pair of 3-light
wooden mullion windows each.
The north facade, to Sibsey Lane has a single timber-framed
and jettied bay to the west, with four 4-centred arches with
glazing bar shop windows, above a pair of 4-light wooden
traceried mullion windows, and above again four 3-light
similar windows, above again in the bargeboarded gable with
decorative diamond arch-braced framing and a pair of 3-light
wooden mullioned windows.
The remainder of this facade is brick added in 1873 in the
Gothic Revival style, with 4 bays to the west with a single
4-centred arch doorway and 2 small casements. Above 3 tall
casements and a blind white brick panel each in a chamfered
4-centred arch. Further east, 3 very tall bays topped by a
cross-stepped gable each. The western bay has a shop at ground
floor, and the others have 2 casements, above 3 very tall
pointed arch cross casement windows, each flanked by single
lower, 4-centred arch white brick panels. Beyond to the east a
single bay entrance bay with a single double chamfered
segmental arched entrance, with above 4 white brick panels in
chamfered 4-centred arches.
The south facade, to Shodfriars Lane has 3 bays of arch-braced
and jettied box framing to west, with 6 alternating wide and
narrow 4-centred arches, with glazing bar shop windows and 3
plain arches beyond. Above two 2-light and a single 3-light
traceried wooden mullioned windows. Above again three 3-light
similar windows. Beyond to east, the remainder of the facade
is brick of 1873, with 3 very tall bays, topped by
The ground floor has 2 small shops, and 2 doorways and 2
casement windows, above 3 very tall pointed arch cross
basement windows, each flanked by single lower 4-centred arch
white brick panels. Beyond to east a final bay, with a doorway
and 2 casements on the ground floor, with above a central
casement and above again a loft doorway and hoist within a
4-centred double-chamfered arch, with either side tall white
brick panels in 4-centred arches, each with a small casement.
INTERIOR: 2 king post roof misses in right range and a fine
C17 fireplace elaborately carved with panelled overmantle.
HISTORY: this building was probably built as the 'Golden
Hows', 'the principal mansion of the guilds' c1400.
The rear wing of 1873 was built for Boston Conservative Club.
Listing NGR: TF3285844000