5-9, ARCHERY LANE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389281
Date first listed:
05-Sep-2000
Statutory Address:
5-9, ARCHERY LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389281.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Jul-2020 at 23:31:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
5-9, ARCHERY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 47790 29342

Details



SU 4729 SE ARCHERY LANE 869/5/10015 Peninsula Barracks 05-SEP-00 (North side) 5-9

GV II



Barracks, possibly officers' quarters, now housing. 1901-5, restored c1995 to the designs of the architect Huw Thomas. Red brick with rear lateral stack and slate hipped roof. Georgian Revival style. PLAN: Probably double-depth rooms with central stair. EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 4:3:4-window range. Central pedimented section set forward, with clock set in oculus. Terracotta cornice. Gauged brick cambered arches to horned 6/6-pane sashes. Semi-circular arched central doorway, the outer blocks each having two of the original window openings deepened into doorways with overlights. Similar rear elevation; pedimented centre has rusticated doorway by Huw Thomas with rusticated pilasters. Paired sashes to the end elevations. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: in the manner of most late nineteenth century officers' quarters such as those at Aldershot and Colchester at this time, overlooking the former parade square. This formed part of the Lower Barracks site, occupied from the mid nineteenth century as a hospital and prison and largely rebuilt 1901-5. It forms a complete functional assemblage of late Victorian/Edwardian barrack buildings, and contributes to the considerable overall significance of the Peninsula barracks site.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487916
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].