Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389283.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Sep-2021 at 02:15:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU 47835 29373



SU 4729 SE GAR STREET 869/5/10016 Peninsula Barracks 05-SEP-00 (West side) 1-6


Barrack block, now housing. 1901-5, converted to the designs of Huw Thomas 1997. Red brick with terracotta dressings, brick front lateral and cross-ridge stacks, and slate cross-gabled roof. Georgian Revival style. PLAN: a long H plan originally of 4 single-depth dormitories, each with a central side stack. EXTERIOR: 4-storey, 12-window range with cambered gauged brick arches over 6/6-pane sashes. A symmetrical front showing 3 storeys to the parade ground front, with terracotta second-floor cornice and pediment mouldings; 1-window end pediments with oculi to cross ranges set forward, with 2-window ablution section in the re-entrants (now with hipped roofs), and 3-window dormitories between formerly divided by lateral stacks; similar dormitories with 3-window side elevations in the pedimented cross ranges. Rear similar with regular fenestration, 2-window end pediments, and 2 doorways to former ablution blocks, with 9-light overlights. Four pedimented doorcases, designed by the architect Huw Thomas as part of the restoration planned and completed in the 1990s: also dating from the restoration is the rear rustication to the ground floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: this is a curiously old-fashioned barracks compared with contemporary examples at Tidworth or Colchester Camps, its design showing some respect for the Upper Barracks (qqv), rebuilt at the same time. Lower Barracks was occupied from the mid nineteenth century as a hospital and prison attached to the Upper Barracks, and largely rebuilt 1901-05. It forms a complete functional assemblage of late Victorian/Edwardian barrack buildings, and contributes to the considerable overall significance of the Peninsula barracks site.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].