MECCA BINGO CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389678
Date first listed:
05-Oct-2000
Statutory Address:
MECCA BINGO CLUB, BISHOPSFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MECCA BINGO CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389678 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 00:58:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
MECCA BINGO CLUB, BISHOPSFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Sutton (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26125 66719

Details

SUTTON

TQ2666 BISHOPSFORD ROAD 795/1/10004 Sutton 05-OCT-00 Mecca Bingo Club

II

Also Known As: Gaumont Cinema, BISHOPSFORD ROAD, Sutton



Former Gaumont cinema, built in 1936-7 for the Gaumont-British Picture Corporation. Architect: Harry Weston of Epsom and London, with interiors by Eugene Mollo and Michael Egan of London. Brick, cladding steel frame, the upper facade clad in Binfield hand-made sand-faced russet bricks, and with painted artificial stone features. Brick return walls, roof not seen. Large double-height auditorium with balcony and stage, the latter with shallow fly-tower.

EXTERIOR: Monumental and symmetrical moderne facade. Terrazzo ground floor treated as plinth to composition now painted over. Four sets of entrance doors, with canopy above. Tall triple-light first floor windows, divided by painted pilasters. This configuration is continued for the upper storey but with the windows flanking the central feature and bullnosed corners to facade. The semi-glazed doors to the cafe survive behind late twentieth-century protective panels.

INTERIOR: Double-height auditorium dominated by five huge fibrous plaster fluted coves, originally for indirect light. These are inclined towards the proscenium and extend across the ceiling and down to slanting troughs, also of fibrous plaster, set in the side walls. The coves flanking the proscenium are cut short at the top to allow for ventilation grilles (now blocked). Another panel of ventilation grilles is built into the fluted cove over the stage. The vertical sides of the proscenium are in the form of bull-nosed tapering pilasters. The curving balcony front is inclined backwards. The dado survives on the side walls near the proscenium. Raised central section of the ceiling above the rear balcony to allow for the projection throw. The rear wall here retains a surface of vertical battens and fibrous acoustic covering, together with the projection ports'. Two vomitory entrances to the balcony entered by way of dog-leg passages. Balcony soffit with eight lighting saucer domes equipped with chromium and glass uplighters. Balcony foyer with fluted horizontal lighting cove. In the former cafe, there is moderne fibrous plaster decoration of saucer domes and coving surviving above a false ceiling. Original doors to the cafe at first floor level.

ANALYSIS: The Gaumont, Rose Hill was built to serve the London County Council's new St Helier estate, and forms a strong group with the adjoining flats and shops by Carl Rudolph Jelinek (1939-40). Internally it is a particularly dramatic and now rare example of a moderne style cinema interior, designed as an architecture based on hidden lighting, and executed in the fibrous plaster popular at the time.

SOURCES: `Another Large Suburban Kinema for Gaumont-British', in Ideal Kinema, 17 June 1937, pp.19, 22 Charlotte Benton, A Different World: Emigre Architects in Britain 1928-1958, London, RIBA, 1995, p.172 Allen Eyles, Gaumont British Cinemas, London, Cinema Theatre Association, 1996, pp.85-7, 216 Richard Gray, Cinemas in Britain, London, Lund Humphries, 1996, pp.89, 139 Allen Eyles, `Meeting Michael Egan', in Picture House, no. 23, summer 1998, Cinema Theatre Association, pp.30-1

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488385
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].