CHURCH OF ST TARCISIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391327
Date first listed:
03-Mar-2005
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST TARCISIUS, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST TARCISIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391327.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 03:55:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST TARCISIUS, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Surrey Heath (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 87134 60654

Details

282/0/10018 LONDON ROAD Church of St Tarcisius

II Roman Catholic church. Built between 1923 and 1926 by F A WAlters specifically as a war memorial to British Catholic officers who died in the First World War, many of whom were trained at the Staff College or the Royal Military College at Sandhurst. Perpendicular style. Built of Bargate coursed stone rubble with Bath stone dressings and tiled roof. Comprises west tower with porch underneath and baptistery to the side, four bay nave with north aisle, lower two bay chancel and transepts with side chapels. EXTERIOR: West tower of three stages has a crenellated parapet and arched and louvred windows to the bell chamber. Triple traceried window below, over west door with carved stone head and double doors. Offset buttresses. Baptistery to north has two cinquefoil-headed lights. Nave has two-light arched windows divided by buttresses and cross-shaped saddlestone to east. Gabled transepts with traceried windows. Chancel has elaborate five-light traceried east window and cross-shaped saddlestone. INTERIOR: Marble memorial tablets inside porch. The nave has a pitch pine arched braced roof with kingposts and an arcade of Bath stone pointed arches supported on octagonal columns. The transepts have larger Bath stone arches on columns and there is a wooden gallery to the north transept. There is an octagonal carved stone pulpit and an octagonal stone font. The original oak pews survive. The south chapel has a carved reredos and the north Lady Chapel has triple arches and a stone reredos depicting the Virgin and Child and angels. The chancel has a barrel-vaulted pitch pine roof, carved white alabaster altar rail and carved Beer stone reredos with six canopies above Catholic saints and martyrs, St Tarcisius, St Pancras, St Augustine, St Patrick, St George and St Sebastian. Many stained glass windows are by Paul Woodroffe (1875-1954).

A well designed and unusually well-preserved 1920s Perpendicular style Bargate stone Catholic church built specificially as a War Memorial to British Catholic officers.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491955
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 17 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/226542
War Memorials Register, accessed 5 December 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41624

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]HistoricEngland.org.uk.