20, NORTHMOOR ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391361
Date first listed:
23-Nov-2004
Statutory Address:
20, NORTHMOOR ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391361.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 08:54:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
20, NORTHMOOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 51146 08301

Details



612/0/10108 NORTHMOOR ROAD 23-NOV-04 20

II

Private house. 1924. Designed by Fred E Openshaw for Basil Blackwell, the owner of Blackwell's Bookshop in Broad Street. During 1930-47 this house was the home of Professor J R R Tolkien.

Roughcast brick with brick plinth, plain tile roof brick stacks. Double pile range, with service end to north. 2 storeys. Wooden mullion windows with leaded casements.

Street front has recessed centre flanked by projecting gabled wings. Plank door to right of recessed centre with 5-light mullion windows on either side. Above a central 3-light window flanked by 4-light windows in the projecting gables.

INTERIOR plan survives unaltered, except for the wall between the former study and drawing room which was removed for Tolkien in order to enlarge the room in which he worked. Original doors, doorhandles and window catches with elaborate heart motif. Open well staircase with wide and narrow splat balusters. Two arched brick fireplaces. Built-in bedroom cupboards and airing cupboard. Built-in meat safe in larder.

This house is listed for its historic importance as the home and workplace of Professor J R R Tolkein from 1930 to 1947. It was in this house that Tolkien wrote the whole of The Hobbit [1930-32, published 1937] and almost all of the Lord of the Rings [1937-49].

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
492578
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].