TERRYS OF YORK CLOCK TOWER, WATER TOWER AND BOILER HOUSE WITH TRANSFORMER HOUSE ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391642
Date first listed:
04-Mar-2005
Statutory Address:
TERRYS OF YORK CLOCK TOWER, WATER TOWER AND BOILER HOUSE WITH TRANSFORMER HOUSE ATTACHED, BISHOPTHORPE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRYS OF YORK CLOCK TOWER, WATER TOWER AND BOILER HOUSE WITH TRANSFORMER HOUSE ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391642.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 14:37:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
TERRYS OF YORK CLOCK TOWER, WATER TOWER AND BOILER HOUSE WITH TRANSFORMER HOUSE ATTACHED, BISHOPTHORPE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59841 49832

Details



1112-1/0/10049 BISHOPTHORPE ROAD 04-MAR-05 York Terry's of York Clock Tower, Water Tow er and Boiler house with transformer h ouse attached

GV II Clock tower, water tower and boiler house, with attached transformer house, built in 1924-30, with later additions, by J G Davies and L E Wade for Terry's of York. Red brick in English bond with sandstone dressings and parapet. Concrete and asphalt roof, metal framed windows. Tower has six stages and attached buildings have three storeys. Tower has brick angle pilasters with sunk-panel ashlar heads at the fifth stage, and large small-paned sash windows with triple keyed lintels. Top stage has ashlar quoins and a clock face on each side on which the letters TERRY YORK replace numbers. The parapet has large corner blocks with balustrades between. The boiler house and transformer house both have small-pane sashes in plain surrounds, and brick parapets above sandstone eaves bands. Interior: ground floor only; boiler/transformer house still operational with machinery filling the ground floor. HISTORY: Terry's of York began as a confectionary business owned by Bayldon and Berry in 1767 on a site near Bootham Bar. Joseph Terry, connected by marriage to Berry and trained as an apothecary, joined the firm which in 1824 moved to St Helen's Square. By 1830 Terry was the sole owner, and gradually developed the chocolate side of the business. New factory premises were built at Clementhorpe in 1862, to provide better transport links, but continued expansion led to the need for the new premises which were built at Bishopthorpe Road. SUMMARY: This building is one of a group consisting of headquarters offices, factory, clocktower, Time office block and liquor factory, which were all built at the same time. The complex is a strong group in architectural terms, presenting a unified style which reflects the strength and importance of the corporate image of Terry's chocolate firm. The buildings also have a strong historic interest, representing the most complete surviving expression of the importance of the confectionary business in York, and confirming, on a national scale, York's high status in this business. SOURCES: COLBECK, Maurice, 'Made in York', 1992, pp. 23-32. 'Terry's of York 1767-1967', 1967, (Private Publication). 'C. M. W.', Journal of Jos. Rowntree, 1925, (pamplet).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
492560
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colbeck, M, Made in York, (1992), 23-32

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].