This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1391993



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-2007

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 503652

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


779/15/10027 LEE TERRACE 01-JUN-07 LEE The Fludyer tomb, Lee Old Churchyard

GV II* Tomb chest. Erected c.1769 to Sir Samuel Fludyer Bt, MP (?1704-1768), Lord Mayor of London 1761-62, and his brother Sir Thomas Fludyer FRS (d. 1769), and their wives, possibly by Sir Robert Taylor, though a drawing entitled "The Designe of a Canopy, to be placed in the Winter, over the Marble Tomb of Sir Samuel and Sir Thomas Fludyer" is signed by Robert Chambers and dated 21 October 1769. Chambers may have taken over the commission. Portland stone, with some marble sections, Rococo tomb chest with a serpentine profiled sarcophagus on a plinth capped by an armorial upper stage with splayed scrolls. The urn which formerly topped this monument was lying in several pieces on the ground nearby at the time of inspection. The tomb has been reassembled at some time as the arms no longer tally with the persons identified in the descriptions formerly beneath them. The Inscriptions are now almost illegible. HISTORY: Lee old churchyard contains many notable monuments which reflect the area's Georgian past as a place of retirement for City merchants and those involved with Greenwich and the Deptford shipyards. In the centre of the churchyard stand the remains of the tower belonging to the former medieval Church of St Margaret (listed Grade II). The current Church of St Margaret stands to the south side of Lee Terrace (1839-41, listed Grade II*). The churchyard of the current church contains later tombs, being used principally between the 1840s and 1870s. A decline in usage came with the opening of Hither Green Cemetery, Lee in 1873. Sir Samuel Fludyer, Bt, MP for Chippenham was buried close to his seat. As well as being deputy governor to the Bank of England and Lord Mayor of London (1761-62), Fludyer was a massively wealthy clothier and West Indies merchant. He was reputed to have been worth £900,000 at his death according to the Gentlemans Magazine, 18 January 1768, 47. He is remembered in the erection of the Fludyer tomb and in the naming of Fludyer Street, immediately to the south of Downing Street.

SOURCES E and J Birchenough, Monumental Inscriptions in the Old Churchyard, St Margaret's, Lee (1967 typescript in Manor House Library) C P Gwilt (1830), F Bamping (2001) et al, Lee - Kent Archaeological Society website. Bowdler, R., Rococo in Lee: The Fludyer Tomb by Robert Chambers, in the Georgian Group Journal, p.91-93 (1993).

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The Fludyer tomb, Lee old churchyard, Lewisham is a fine Rococo chest tomb of c1769, erected to Sir Samuel Fludyer Bt., MP, and Lord Mayor of London (1761-61), his brother and wives. The tomb appears to have been designed by Robert Chambers, the commission possibly having been passed to him by Sir Robert Taylor. The tomb meets the criteria for listing commemorative monuments as an example of a late C18 tomb of high quality sculptural design erected to a person of historic and local interest.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bowdler, R, 'Georgian Group Journal' in Rococo in Lee: The Fludyer Tomb by Robert Chambers, (1993), 91-93

National Grid Reference: TQ 39021 75704


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 10:10:59.

End of official listing