CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1393110
Date first listed:
28-Jan-2009
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393110.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:08:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashfield cum Thorpe
National Grid Reference:
TM 21036 62605

Reasons for Designation

St Mary's Church, Ashfield-cum-Thorpe is designated for listing at grade II for the following principal reasons. * The contrasting brickwork and good quality stone work affords the building special exterior architectural quality. * Although St Mary's has a plain interior and simply detailed church furniture, it survives largely intact. The use of C18 carved woodwork in the pulpit adds to its interest.

Details

ASHFIELD CUM THORPE

1224/0/10004 THE STREET 28-JAN-09 CHURCH OF ST MARY

II St Mary's church was built in 1853 in Gothic revival style, designed by W.C Woollard of Long Melford, commissioned by Lord Henniker of Thornham Magna, the local landowner.

MATERIALS The church is constructed of orange and red brick, generally laid in Flemish bond, with headers and string courses in blue brick creating a chequered effect. The church has a gable roof with peg-tile covering.

PLAN St Mary's has a simple two-cell plan with a small brick porch to the south and vestry to the north

EXTERIOR The roof is adorned by a small bellcote with timber louvres at the west end and a small stone crucifix at the east. At each corner, there are diagonal butresses with stone copings. The pointed arch windows have small diamond leaded lights with plain glass and contrasting stone surrounds and mullions with cusped heads. Those in the chancel, and the larger tripartite east and west end windows, have intersecting tracery and those in the nave have decorative 'Y' tracery.

INTERIOR The church has a plain painted interior with brick pamment floor. In the chancel, there is a simple wooden altar with three central panels, carved columns, foliate arches and spandrels. The altar rails are punctuated with simple arches with cusped heads and there is a small pipe organ of unknown date. The nave has two small war memorials to the dead of the parish. The low pulpit was erected in 1939 and incorporates carved woodwork probably of the C18, with a scripture quotation. The pews are apparently of later C19 date and have plain joinery. At the west end, the font has a stone plinth of some antiquity, but the font itself appears C20 in date. The roof is clad with timber and has a decorative truss on carved brackets.

HISTORY By the mid C19, the medieval church of St. Mary in the centre of the village of Ashfield Cum Thorpe was ruinous. After the reformation the building had gradually declined until, apparently, only the base of the square tower remained. In 1853, Lord Henniker of Thornham Magna commissioned William Constable Woollard(1808-1860) of Long Melford to design a new church seemingly constructed on the site of the old, remains of which may survive beneath the present building. Built for £2000, the new church was designed to Ecclesiologist principals, with a traditional arrangement of nave and chancel and worship based on pre-Reformation liturgical practice.

SOURCES www.suffolkchurches.com Brown, Haward, Kindred 1991, Directory of Architects of Suffolk Buildings.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION St Mary's Church, Ashfield-cum-Thorpe is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:

* The contrasting brickwork and good quality stone work affords the building special exterior architectural quality. * Although St Mary's has a plain interior and simply detailed church furniture, it survives largely intact. The use of C18 carved woodwork in the pulpit adds to its interest.

LISTING NGR TM2103462606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
504840
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brown, , Kindred, , Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, (1991)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].