- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- WAR MEMORIAL, COLNE ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393226 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:27:06.
- Statutory Address:
- WAR MEMORIAL, COLNE ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Pendle (District Authority)
- Kelbrook and Sough
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 90310 45649
Reasons for Designation
The War memorial in Sough Park, Earby, is designated for the following principal reasons: * It is a good example of a First World War Memorial with Second World War additions that has been designed and executed to a high standard using good quality materials and craftsmanship * The memorial is an evocative reminder of the impact of the World Wars on communities across the country.
1317/0/10185 COLNE ROAD 16-APR-09 WAR MEMORIAL
II A First World War memorial of 1922 designed by W A Quarmby and built by Smith Brothers, with Second World War additions of 1949 envisaged by T Broughton and undertaken by F T Fairchild & Sons and W&R Leggott.
MATERIALS: White Portland stone with bronze plaques, with Second World War additions in honey-coloured sandstone with bronze plaques.
EXTERIOR: Earby War Memorial in Sough Park is an ornate cenotaph standing on an octagonal upper base which itself sits on a larger octagonal lower base. The lower base has projecting steps with low flanking walls at the four cardinal points of the compass. Small flowerbeds are set on the diagonal between each range of steps and are fronted by a low retaining wall. Four Second World War memorial stones are set diagonally on the octagonal upper base, each containing a bronze plaque commemorating the names of 30 fallen in total beneath the bronze numbers `1939-1945' affixed to each stone. The First World War cenotaph contains inset panels at the four cardinal points of the compass, each holding bronze plaques commemorating the names of 166 fallen in total. Beneath each plaque there is a carved wreath in the centre of which `1914 / 1919' is carved. Fluted columns with cross-band decoration flank the upper parts of each inset panel. Above the panels the words `THEIR / NAMES / LIVETH FOR / EVERMORE' are carved on the north, west, south and east faces of the cenotaph respectively. The cenotaph is topped by a carved octagonal roll with central cross-band decoration at each of the four cardinal points of the compass, above which are carved lion heads and a carved interpretation of the eternal flame.
HISTORY: The First World War memorial was conceived of as the centrepiece of a new Memorial Park (renamed Sough Park), based on that of the nearby village of Sutton-in-Craven. The park was to contain a bowling green, bandstand and children's play area. It opened in 1924. The memorial was designed by W A Quarmby of Burnley and built of Portland stone by Smith Brothers of Burnley. The stone laying ceremony was performed by local dignitaries on 27 August 1921 and the unveiling ceremony occurred on 8 April 1922. Second World War additions were envisaged by T Broughton, assistant surveyor to the Urban District Council, and the contract for altering the memorial was given to F T Fairchild and Son of Barnoldswick, whilst the plaques and fittings were obtained from W&R Leggott Ltd of Bradford. The Service of Dedication and Consecration of the Memorial Extension took place on 9 October 1949 and the unveiling ceremony was carried out by the local British Legion Branch President, Councillor Wright Firth.
SOURCES: United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. Earby. Reference No. 3315.
REASONS FOR DECISION: The War memorial in Sough Park, Earby, is designated for the following principal reasons: * It is a good example of a First World War Memorial with Second World War additions that has been designed and executed to a high standard using good quality materials and craftsmanship * The memorial is an evocative reminder of the impact of the World Wars on communities across the country.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 2 February 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/133373
War Memorials Register, accessed 2 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3315
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing