CHURCH HALL OF ST HILDA'S, CROFTON PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1393621
Date first listed:
17-Dec-2009
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HALL OF ST HILDA'S, CROFTON PARK, BROCKLEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393621.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 22:50:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH HALL OF ST HILDA'S, CROFTON PARK, BROCKLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36276 74438

Reasons for Designation

The church hall at St Hilda's, Crofton Park (built 1899-1900) is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is an intact freestanding mission church associated with the Church of St Hilda of 1905-08 (Grade II), both built by JE Newberry * It forms a strong group with the church, as illustrated in 1908 * It has architectural quality not normally associated with mission churches which were commonly built as the precursor to a parish church.

Details



779/0/10162 BROCKLEY ROAD 17-DEC-09 Church hall of St Hilda's, Crofton Park

GV II Parish hall, 1899-1900 by JE Newberry, built as a mission church as the precursor to the Church of St Hilda (Grade II) of 1905-08 by FH Greenaway and JE Newberry. The hall was extended after 1908 to provide Sunday schools.

MATERIALS: red brick with tile dressings and roofs.

PLAN: a large single hall laid out gable to the road, has lower rooms attached to the south east and in a cross wing at the rear.

EXTERIOR: main ranges have battered brick buttreses, and the lower range has a swept roof with deep eaves set lower than the main hall roofline. The south gable is gambrelled. The main hall has a symmetrical roadside elevation with a porched entrance flanked by two-light windows beneath a tile-hung gable with a five-light window with a moulded transom, and a small opening at the apex. Side elevations have three-light windows at lower level and half-hipped three-light dormers. Windows have shaped heads and rectangular leaded lights and those at lower level are set in cambered openings beneath an arched hoodmould. Midway along the roof is a timber lantern with a pitched tile roof. The southern range has a four-light east window similar to that over the entrance.

INTERIOR: the main hall has a slender crown post roof supported on long wall posts which rise from a panelled timber dado. The northern wall, flanking the stage has exposed framing. The sanctuary stairs survive under the stage. Later C20 additions to the rear of the hall are not of special interest.

HISTORY: the mission church was built by JE Newberry, who with FH Greenaway was architect of the church. It was built quickly and cheaply as a precursor to the church. Unlike many mission churches which were absorbed into the later church, or replaced, this hall was clearly seen as part of the group, as illustrated in the Builder magazine in 1908. The Church of St Hilda was the first of a group of churches built by the partnership for the Diocese of Southwark and is well regarded among Arts and Crafts Gothic churches in London.

FH Greenaway (1869 -1935) was articled to Sir Aston Webb; JE Newberry (1862-1950) likewise to Edward Hide. They went into partnership in 1904. The work of both architects reflects the rich diversity in later C19 church architecture. Other early C20 church work by Greenaway and Newberry includes the church hall at St Faith, Herne Hill, 1907; the enlargement of the medieval church of St Nicholas, Plumpstead, 1907-08, (Grade II); All Saints, Hampton, 1908 but completed later; St Peter Haydon's Road, Wimbledon, 1911-12 but incomplete; and St John the Baptist Sutton, 1915. After Greenaway retired in 1927 Newberry entered into partnership with CW Fowler and retired in 1946.

SOURCES: The Builder, 28 March 1908 B Cherry and N Pevsner, Buildings of England, London 2: South,1994, p414 Gavin Stamp, The church of St Hilda Crofton Park, Ecclesiology Today, July 2008, p77 http//www.croftonpark.com/sainthildas/archive, 19 June 2009

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church hall at the Church of St Hilda, Crofton Park is listed for the following principal reasons: * It is an intact freestanding mission church associated with the church of St Hilda, both designed by JE Newberry * It forms a strong group with the church, as illustrated in 1908 * It has architectural quality not normally associated with mission churches which were commonly built as the precursor to a parish church.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
507105
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].