CARSHALTON WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1393681
Date first listed:
23-Feb-2010
Statutory Address:
CARSHALTON WAR MEMORIAL, HONEYWOOD WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARSHALTON WAR MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393681.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 05:36:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CARSHALTON WAR MEMORIAL, HONEYWOOD WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Sutton (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27890 64545

Reasons for Designation

Yes List

Details

795/0/10021

SUTTON, HONEYWOOD WALK, Carshalton War Memorial

23-FEB-10

GV II

First World War memorial, attributed to E.H. Bouchier FRIBA, unveiled 1921, added to following World War II, and subsequently.

Built of Portland stone, the memorial is in the form of a cenotaph; broadly rectangular in shape with chamfered corners, it stands 4m high, 2.5m wide, and 1m deep. The upper part of the of the monument steps in and up, with decorative pairs of engaged gadrooned and fluted balusters with ovolo-moulding above to each corner and blank centre panels. The monument terminates with a simple cornice.

Carved in relief on the east and west faces of the monument are the words: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE The Roll of Honour, engraved onto brass plates, is divided between the two faces.

Carved in relief on the north and south faces is: 1914-1918 / 1939-1945 Below this to the south are two further names on a brass plaque, and below this to the north is a stone plaque with the inscription: SUBSEQUENT SERVICE Two names are listed beneath.

The memorial stands on a single step and the surrounding area is paved in York stone.

HISTORY The monument was unveiled by Major General Sir John Longley in March 1921. Paid for by public subscription, it was erected to honour The Fallen of Carshalton who served and died during World War I. Commemoration of those who gave their lives during World War II, and in later conflicts, was added subsequently. The names added to the memorial following World War II do not represent a full roll of honour.

The impact of both world wars on Britain was huge and the end of World War I saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever. The huge majority of casualties were buried where they fell, so memorials would have offered a focus for grief and remembrance, as they still do today. As with the one at Carshalton, many memorials were later added to in recognition of those that fell during World War II.

Carshalton War Memorial is an elegant and sombre tribute to The Fallen of Carshalton. The poignancy of the monument is heightened by its tranquil setting between the memorial garden to the north, and the historic Upper Pond to the south.

SOURCES United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials, www.ukniwm.org.uk accessed 6th November 2009 Carshalton Village Conservation Area Appraisal, produced by London Borough of Sutton, accessed at www.sutton.gov.uk on 6th November 2009

REASON FOR DESIGNATION Carshalton War Memorial is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historical: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in two World Wars, and in subsequent conflicts, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level; * Architectural: for its Portland stone cenotaph design.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
507368
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 17 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121326
War Memorials Register, accessed 6 November 2009 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1184

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].