Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394610.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2021 at 21:16:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 76083 62678


RALPH ALLEN DRIVE 656-1/67/1366 (East side) 11/08/72 Top Lodge Formerly Listed as: RALPH ALLEN DRIVE Lodge and Gate Posts)


Lodge to Prior Park. c1740 (appears on Thorp Map of 1742). Probably by John Wood the Elder. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, double Roman tile roof. EXTERIOR: A small gabled single depth lodge, immediately adjacent to gatepiers (qv) giving to North Road. Main front, to north, with two oval windows above a Palladian window with plain mullion pilasters and full entablature and with glazing bar sashes. Ground floor treated as a 'rustick' or basement, with a trio of arched windows with keystones and impost band, with small-pane casements; the central window is wider than outer ones. Full height channelled pilaster quoins; moulded eaves band. Gables not coped; each has an ashlar chimney stack in the form of a pedestal. To right, beneath the continuous deeply moulded plat band, is a single storey wing with glazed door and large twelve-pane sash. The right return is faced in rubble, with a central arched light with broad impost band; beyond the wing is a wall extending as far as one of gate piers, with arched light to keystone and impost. The rubble-faced rear has a small square light in the centre immediately below the eaves band. INTERIOR: Not inspected. HISTORY: This lodge is very similar in design to that at the corner to Church Street (qv The Lodge), at the north (or bottom) end of the Prior Park estate. Its distinctive architectural vocabulary would have announced the traveller's arrival at a very distinctive enclave. SOURCE: Gillian Clarke, `Prior Park. A Compleat Landscape¿ (Bath 1987), 40. Listing NGR: ST7608362678


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].