NO. 3 AND ATTACHED CANOPY NOS. 1 AND 2 (PART)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394854

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO. 3 AND ATTACHED CANOPY, 3, ST JAMES'S STREET

Statutory Address: NOS. 1 AND 2 (PART), ST JAMES'S PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO. 3 AND ATTACHED CANOPY
NOS. 1 AND 2 (PART)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394854 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:31:42.

Location

Statutory Address: NO. 3 AND ATTACHED CANOPY, 3, ST JAMES'S STREET

Statutory Address: NOS. 1 AND 2 (PART), ST JAMES'S PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74521 65542

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST JAMES'S STREET 656-1/30/1554 (East side) No.3 and attached canopy

(Formerly Listed as: ST JAMES'S STREET Nos 1-9 (consec) & No.10 (St James's Wine Vaults Public House)) and ST JAMES'S PLACE Covered Way Entrance to ST James's Place 12/06/50

GV II

Includes: Nos.1 AND 2 (PART) ST JAMES'S PLACE. Launderette with accommodation over, launderette continues to ground floor of No.1 St James's Place, offices to first floor of Nos 1 and 2 St James's Place. c1790-1793 with C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, painted to ground floor, rendered to rear; parapeted mansard roof, hipped to left, in Welsh Slate and artificial slate and concrete tile to upper slope to rear with ashlar stack to right, canopy in timber and wrought iron with glass roof attached to left-hand side. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, single bay three-window range. First floor has three grouped plate glass horned sashes, narrower to left and right, with continuous wrought iron balconette, second floor has three similar windows without horns with continuous stone sill, ground floor has C20 glass door in plain reveal to right, C20 plate glass window in former door opening with chamfered jambs with ogee stops at top. Double dormer with plate glass sashes. Band course over ground floor weathered sill band to first floor continuous with Nos 1 and 2 St James's Street (qv), included eaves cornice and coped parapet continuous with Nos 1 and 2 St James's Street. Rear elevation of No.3 St James's Street has plate glass sash to first floor, similar single dormer, reconstituted stone single storey extension, no openings to rear of Nos 1 and 2 St James's Place. Left side of No.3 St James's Street under canopy has six-panel door with fielded panels and plank door in plain reveals with band course over to front, five x three-pane fixed light shop window with ovolo moulded glazing bars. Front of No.1 St James's Place attached to left has C20 bay window, C20 glazed door in plain reveal with pennant-step and large three-light plate glass window, first floor not visible above canopy except six/six sash in plain reveal with stone sill with wrought iron balconette to first floor left. No.2 St James's Place attached to left is two storey three-window range. First floor has three plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, ground floor has to right six/six sash in plain reveal with stone sill with lower part of opening blocked, C20 glazed door and C20 two-and three-light windows to centre and left. Band course over ground floor, continuous with No.1 St James's Place. Canopy has pediment with elaborately carved tympanum to front to St James's Street on heavily carved console brackets, roof behind with light wrought iron trusses largely glazed but with ceiling panels with elaborate decoration below apex with pairs of carved pendentives to strips supported on carved console brackets to frieze. Roof runs other way to rear section and lacks ceiling panels. Ranks of wrought iron bars on cast iron brackets and butcher's hooks below canopy attached to No.3 St James's Street and No.1 St James's Place. INTERIOR: Not inspected. Past site visits record the survival of marble and wooden chimney-pieces. Upper floors converted to a maisonette in 1981. HISTORY: Nos 1 and 2 St James's Place are not of special interest beyond providing support for the glazed canopy, which is an exceptional survival of Victorian specialised retail architecture. SOURCES: Bath City Archives, 'Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856': DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS; Bath City Council planning file.

Listing NGR: ST7452165542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510258

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing