CANNON CINEMA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1395647
Date first listed:
17-Jul-1995
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
CANNON CINEMA, 22 AND 23, WESTGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANNON CINEMA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1395647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 11:18:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CANNON CINEMA, 22 AND 23, WESTGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 74889 64786

Details

WESTGATE STREET 656-1/40/1844 (North side) Nos.22 AND 23 Cannon Cinema 17/07/95

GV II

Cinema. 1920. By AJ Taylor. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. EXTERIOR: Classically fronted picture house on a restricted inner City site. Three storeys, five-bays, windows all sashes with central square pane to narrow margin panes all round, in deep reveals and to raised plat surrounds, plus moulded sills at second floor over aprons with flat disc drops. Ground floor has five large square openings, but filled at each end, separated by channelled pilasters, all crowned by cornice, raised to broken semicircle at centre bay, where first floor window extended down to shaped stone balcony with bronze semi-cylindrical balustrade. First floor rises from deep podium band, inflected below channelled pilasters through two storeys to square cornice under solid blocking course, with dies, and with open panel, with diagonal bars, above windows. Heads of pilasters at ground and second floor carry stepped drops, and above centre bay raised attic with carved coat of arms of Bath City, flanked by drops, and with small scroll supporters. In Saw Close, adjacent to The Loft Club (qv), secondary entrance to cinema, single storey unit with splayed corner, having channelled pilasters under panel, and with balustrade similar to front. INTERIOR: Six-bay auditorium with rich neo-classical plaster decoration concealing internal structure of concrete and steel. Large console brackets disguise supports for steel roof trusses. Concrete framed balcony. HISTORY: Originally known as the "Beau Nash Picture House", This cinema, designed by the City Architect in a deliberately Deferential style, was admired as an example of good cinema design in 'The Builder', 14th December 1924, p.757. It belongs to the second generation of cinema buildings.

Listing NGR: ST7488964786

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
511060
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].