Carlton in Lindrick War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1421774

Date first listed: 08-Dec-2014

Location Description: Junction of Church Lane and High Road (A60), Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Carlton in Lindrick War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1421774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 22:50:12.

Location

Location Description: Junction of Church Lane and High Road (A60), Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

Parish: Carlton in Lindrick

National Grid Reference: SK5899084082

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1921.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial designed by Allan Foxley, located at the junction of Church Lane and High Road (A60), Carlton in Lindrick and unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: the memorial is thoughtfully designed with finely carved details to the Greek cross.

History

The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of Carlton in Lindrick lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 8 February 1921 by Capt WCC Weetman and dedicated by the Rector of Carlton, the Revd WH Deane. It was designed by Allen Foxley and constructed by Bowman (of Stamford). The names of those who fell from the parish in the Second World War were added in 1948. The war memorial was restored and rededicated in 2009.

Details

War memorial,designed by Allen Foxley, unveiled in 1921.

The memorial, of Clipsham limestone, comprises a medieval-style cross, with an elaborate Greek cross-head set on a tall, narrow, shaft rising from an octagonal plinth with bronze plaques carrying the inscriptions: TO THE GLORY/ OF GOD AND TO/ THE HONOURED/ MEMORY OF THE/ CARLTON MEN/ WHO SACRIFICED/ THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY/ & FOR THE RIGHT/ 1914 - 1918 (15 names of those who fell in the First World War; and 1939-1945 (11 names of those who fell in the Second World War) .



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 24 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/200914
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26907
Other
Bassetlaw Outdoor War Memorials Survey, May 2014,

End of official listing