Birdingbury War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1429601
Date first listed:
24-Sep-2015
Location Description:
at the crossroads of Long Itchington Road, Marton Road, Main Street and Leamington Hastings Road, Birdingbury

Map

Ordnance survey map of Birdingbury War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1429601.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 13:21:42.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
at the crossroads of Long Itchington Road, Marton Road, Main Street and Leamington Hastings Road, Birdingbury
County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Birdingbury
National Grid Reference:
SP4312368231

Summary

A First World War memorial, by Thomas H Elliott, stonemason, dedicated in 1921; altered after the Second World War to add the names of the Fallen from that conflict.

Reasons for Designation

Birdingbury War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a robust memorial with a cross of unusual four-sided design.

History

The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 18 September 1921, to commemorate the members of the parish of Birdingbury who died during the First World War. The costs of £80 had been raised by subscription. The memorial was designed and made by Thomas Elliott, a monumental stonemason from Leamington Spa. A local newspaper, in a piece entitled Birdingbury War Memorial: Sunday’s Unveiling Ceremony, reported:

“The Cross is of Upton Wood stone, and of a unique design, patented by Mr. Thomas Elliott… It stands about 15 feet high, on a massive base, the foundation being of concrete, prepared by voluntary labour. Subscriptions amounting to £80 were raised by the parishioners to defray the cost… We understand that this is the only four-sided cross in England, and standing as it does at a cross-roads, the effect is good”.

Further names were added to the memorial following the end of the Second World War to commemorate those who had fallen. The structure was cleaned and repaired in 2014 with the help of a grant from War Memorials Trust.

Details

A First World War memorial, by Thomas H Elliott, stonemason, dedicated in 1921; altered after the Second World War to add the names of the Fallen from that conflict.

MATERIALS: Upton Wood limestone on a concrete base.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial, which is circa 2.5m high, has a cross with four arms, projecting in four directions, on a diagonally-set four-sided tapering shaft, which stands on a three-stepped plinth. The plinth is inscribed on all four sides, the inscriptions picked out in inlaid bronze lettering. On three sides: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF / THOSE FROM THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918, followed by the names of the Fallen; then FOR KING AND COUNTRY. The rear face is inscribed 1939 – 1945 followed by the names of those who died in the Second World War. The plinth stands on a wide, high square base, into which is set four elaborate cast-iron posts on stone bases, with a chain-link fence slung between them.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 17 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/104836
War Memorials Register, accessed 17.08.2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19192

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].