Wellington Park War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Wellington Park War Memorial
List entry Number: 1429915
Wellington Park, Courtland Road, Wellington, Somerset
The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Taunton Deane
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 21-Oct-2015
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
War memorial, unveiled in 1921.
Reasons for Designation
Wellington War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a modest yet well-executed memorial;
* Group value: it stands within Wellington Park which is registered at Grade II*.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in Wellington Park in 1921. The park was laid out in 1902 on land provided by Messrs Fox Bros, a local cloth manufacturing company, who also donated a further 5 acres to the south-west for a recreation ground as a thanks offering for peace after the First World War. The war memorial was unveiled on 17 June 1921 by Mr F Hugh Fox, and commemorates the 178 local men who died during the conflict. After the Second World War a second dedicatory inscription was added in memory of the 51 local men who lost their lives during the war; two of the names are later additions to the plaque.
War Memorial, erected 1921.
DESCRIPTION: it is situated on a slightly elevated circular mound and is approached by four stone steps on its north side, although a postcard from c1925 shows the steps were originally on the west side. The memorial takes the form of a monolith of roughly-hewn Cornish granite which stands on a raised base which is also roughly-hewn. Bronze plaques on the memorial's west and south faces each carry a dedication, in relief lettering: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1914-1918/ NAMES. A further plaque, also of bronze, reads: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1939-1945/ NAMES.
Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 ('the Act') it is declared that the later C20 chain and link fence and wooden posts which encircle the war memorial are not of special architectural or historic interest and are not included in the listing.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/10/2015
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 September 2015 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/213084
War Memorials Register, accessed 01/09/2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1398
National Grid Reference: ST1342220616
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1429915 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2018 at 03:38:16.
End of official listing