Memorial Gates outside Church of All Saints

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1432596
Date first listed:
14-Apr-2016
Statutory Address:
All Saints Church, Market Place, Kingston Upon Thames, KT1 1JP

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432596.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 22:01:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
All Saints Church, Market Place, Kingston Upon Thames, KT1 1JP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ1790769251

Summary

War memorial gates erected in 1924.

Reasons for Designation

The War Memorial gates, Kingston, of 1924, are listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the ultimate sacrifice made by so many from the Kingston area, particularly the East Surrey Regiment, in the First World War; * Group value: placed between the Church of All Saints (Grade I) and the Market House (Grade II*) and symbolically connected with the nearby Kingston War Memorial (Grade II); * Design: impressive and carefully formed iron memorial gates embellished with the East Surrey regimental badge.

History

Kingston upon Thames, historically in Surrey, was an important market town, port and river crossing from the early medieval period, while there is evidence of Saxon settlement and of activity dating from the prehistoric period and of Roman occupation. It is close to the important historic royal estates at Hampton Court, Bushy Park, Richmond and Richmond Park. The old core of the town, around the Church of All Saints (C14 and C15, on an earlier site) and Market Place, with its recognisably medieval street pattern, is ‘the best preserved of its type in outer London’ (Pevsner and Cherry, London: South, 1983 p. 307). Kingston thrived first as an agricultural and market town and on its historic industries of malting, brewing and tanning, salmon fishing and timber exporting, before expanding rapidly as a suburb after the arrival of the railway in the 1860s. In the later C19 it become a centre of local government, and in the early C20 became an important shopping and commercial centre. Its rich diversity of buildings and structures from all periods reflect the multi-facetted development of the town.

The East Surrey Regiment has long associations with Kingston, dating back to the period when county titles were introduced for regiments of infantry in 1782. The regiment received the title of 70th (Surrey) regiment and a depot was established at Kingston to recruit men from Surrey. In 1783 the 31st (Huntingdonshire) regiment and the 70th (Surrey) regiment were linked together into 47 sub-district brigade at the depot in Kingston where all recruits were then trained. The memorial gates were largely a gift from the East Surrey Regiment 4th Battalion on disbandment. They were erected in 1924 to complete the commemoration of those from the regiment who had fallen in the First World War. They are associated with a memorial plaque and chapel within the Church of All Saints.

The gates were unveiled on Armistice Sunday, 9th November 1924 by the Bishop of Kingston, Dr Herbert. The regiment was represented by Major General Sir John Raynsford Longley KCMG CB, who was the Colonel of the East Surrey Regiment from 1920 to 1939. Longley saw service in the Boer War as Kitchener's Adjutant, and commanded the 1st East Surreys in August 1914, fighting at Mons, Le Cateau, the Marne, the Aisne, La Bassée and Armentiéres.

Details

War Memorial gates erected in 1924.

MATERIALS: wrought and cast iron, set into the stone slabs of the churchyard.

DESCRIPTION: the symmetrical ensemble of gates, supporting piers and screen face south and form an entrance to the churchyard, with railings to either side facing east and west. The screen, gates and piers all have ornate scrolled panels and spear head dogbars at the base. Above the gates there is a segmental arched overthrow surmounted by scrolled finials and the East Surrey Regiment badge which is flanked by gilded, moulded leaves. The gates have four panels divided by a mid-rail enriched with scroll work, while the screen is embellished with rose emblems. Supporting the gates are two main piers with scrolled panels and finials surmounted by a gilded crown and cross. Two smaller piers define the edge of the southern face and provide support to the east and west flanking railings. There are two oval painted plaques attached to the front face of the screen with the dedications ‘THESE GATES WERE LARGELY THE GIFT OF THE 4th BATTALION EAST SURREY REGIMENT ON ITS DISBANDMENT’ to the left and ‘THESE GATES COMPLETE THE EAST SURREY WAR REGIMENT MEMORIAL 1914-1918 THE OTHER PART OF WHICH IS INSIDE THE CHURCH’ to the right.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 February 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
Bridget, Cherry, Nikolaus, Pevsner, The Buildings of England London: 2 South, (2002), 307
Daniell, DS (Author), History of the East Surrey Regiment, volume IV, 1920-1952 , (1957)
'Press cutting' in Surrey Comet, , Vol. ESR/1/10/2/5, (12 November 1924), .
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/159743
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/18141

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].