Belmont War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433560
Date first listed:
13-Apr-2016
Statutory Address:
High Street, Belmont, Durham, County Durham, DH1 1NP

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433560.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 02:17:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
High Street, Belmont, Durham, County Durham, DH1 1NP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Belmont
National Grid Reference:
NZ3041543705

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions.

Reasons for Designation

Belmont War Memorial, which stands on High Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20 and C21.

History

Belmont War Memorial, originally erected in the churchyard on the north side of St Mary Magdalene Church, was unveiled and dedicated on 11 November 1919 by the Right Reverend the Lord Bishop of Durham. It was provided by Emley and Sons of Newcastle at a cost of £184. In commemoration of 60 local servicemen who died during the First World War, the details of 27 men who died in the Second World War were added in 1947 with two new pillars: the additions at that time were proved by Messrs John Lowe and Sons at a cost of £180, unveiled and dedicated by the Vicar, Reverend Pickles, on Remembrance Sunday.

Following the formation of the Friends of Belmont War Memorial, the lettering was re-gilded in 2008 with financial support including a grant from War Memorials Trust. In 2009 the memorial was moved c100m to its current location on the verge on the eastern side of the High Street, opposite Blue House. A new epitaph was added along with one name, and the memorial was re-dedicated at an ecumenical service by the Venerable Ian Jagger, Archdeacon of Durham.

Details

DESCRIPTION: The memorial stands on the eastern side of High Street. It is set back from the road in a paved area*. It comprises a tall obelisk, square on plan, in red Peterhead granite enclosed by a low, rectangular kerb. Four red granite pedestals with sandstone caps stand at the corners of the enclosure. The rear pedestals are raised on three-stepped bases; the front, on two-stepped bases.

The obelisk rises from a pedimented plinth that stands on a three-stage base. The principal dedicatory inscription, in gilded lettering, on the front face of the upper stage of the base reads IN EVER GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES FOR/ KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919./ THIS MONUMENT ERECTED/ BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION/ MORS JANUA VITAE.

The 60 names of the First World War fallen are inscribed on three sides of the plinth. The front face of the kerb is inscribed WHEN YOU GO HOME TELL THEM OF US AND SAY/ FOR YOUR TOMORROW WE GAVE OUR TODAY. The two pedestals to the rear of the enclosure have 1939-1945 carved into the front face of each cap; names of the fallen from the Second World War are inscribed on the front face of each pedestal. The pedestal to the front of the enclosure on the left has OTHER CONFLICTS carved into its cap; the front face of this pedestal is inscribed with the name of a soldier who died in Iraq in 2007.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: In front of the memorial, close to the pavement, is a small red granite stone* inscribed BELMONT WAR MEMORIAL/ WAS MOVED TO THIS LOCATION IN 2009/ THANKS TO THE GENEROUS SUPPORT OF/ COUNTY DURHAM ENVIRONMENTAL TRUST,/ BELMONT PARISH COUNCIL,/ DURHAM CITY AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS,/ BELMONT COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION AND/ RESIDENTS OF THE PARISH OF BELMONT/ FRIENDS OF BELMONT WAR MEMORIAL.

* Pursuant to S.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project - Belmont, accessed 16/02/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6400
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/113152
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10342

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].