Brunswick Village War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433742
Date first listed:
18-Apr-2016
Statutory Address:
Darrell Street, Brunswick Village, Northumberland, NE13 7DS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433742.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 06:04:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Darrell Street, Brunswick Village, Northumberland, NE13 7DS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Brunswick
National Grid Reference:
NZ2340272632

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Brunswick Village War Memorial, which stands on Darrell Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a tall and imposing Celtic cross.

History

Brunswick Village was the settlement serving Dinnington Colliery. The colliery was open from 1867 to 1960. The war memorial was erected in front of the Primary School on Darrell Street, where it was unveiled on 12 March 1921 by Mr RS Barrett (of the Seaton Burn Coal Company, owners of Dinnington Colliery since 1899) and dedicated by Reverend JE Harland. By Messrs WH Endean and Son of Cramlington, the memorial cost £400, raised by public subscription, with a £100 donation from the Seaton Burn Coal Company. It commemorates 52 local servicemen who died during the First World War, and three who fell in the Second World War. The memorial was moved to the opposite side of the road, close to the east end of St Cuthbert’s Mission Church.

WH Endean and Son were responsible for various war memorials in the north-east of England including those at Shiremoor and New Delaval (both Grade II-listed).

Details

The memorial stands close to the pavement on the south side of Darrell Street, near the east end of St Cuthbert’s Church. It comprises a tall Celtic cross in granite. The front face of the cross head is decorated with ornate interlace carving, below which is carved TO/ THE/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD. The cross shaft rises from a tapering plinth, that stands on a square, two-stepped, base.

The names of the First World War fallen are listed on the front face of the plinth. Below, on the front face of the top step of the base, the principal dedicatory inscription reads ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION/ IN MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN OF THIS DISTRICT/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE EUROPEAN WAR/ 1914 – 1918. The east face of the plinth reads 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project - Brunswick, accessed 22/02/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6323
War Memorials Online, accessed 8 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/231044
War Memorials Register, accessed 8 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34316

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].