Trusham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1433743

Date first listed: 06-Apr-2016

Statutory Address: 19m east of Haldon View (not included), Station Road, Trusham

Map

Ordnance survey map of Trusham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433743 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 14:57:06.

Location

Statutory Address: 19m east of Haldon View (not included), Station Road, Trusham

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Trusham

National Grid Reference: SX8523482007

Summary

First World War memorial unveiled in 1926, it was renovated in 2012.

Reasons for Designation

Trusham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; it has added interest being constructed by the voluntary labour of eleven ex-servicemen; * Architectural interest: the locally-sourced and donated materials are used effectively to create a simple yet unusual design.

History

The memorial at Trusham was constructed by the voluntary labour of eleven ex-servicemen. A plaque on the wall to the front of the memorial documents all the local people who donated land, materials and services to its construction. It was unveiled on Saturday 21 August 1926 and a fete was held after the ceremony.

In September 2012 the memorial underwent renovation. The tablet was turned around, with the original, weathered inscription put to the rear of the memorial. A new tablet was added to the front, which replicated the original text as well as adding a dedication to those who died during the Second World War. The work was carried out to provide a legible and updated inscription that would remedy historic spelling errors, without losing the original text.

Details

First World War memorial unveiled in 1926, it was renovated in 2012.

MATERIAL: granite.

DESCRIPTION: a rectangular inscribed stone tablet in between two round stone posts, on a two-tier base. The original inscription, which since 2012 has been on the reverse side of the memorial, reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ (FIVE NAMES)/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919/. The new tablet added to the front replicates the original dedication and names (with spellings corrected), and also includes a dedication to the three parishioners: WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN WORLD WAR II/ 1939-45/ and the dates of the memorial's renovation, SEPTEMBER 2012.

The memorial stands on a platform and the front retaining rubble stone wall incorporates a plaque that reads: TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD ERECTED IN 1926 BY THE VOLUNTARY LABOUR OF (NAMES)/ SITE GIVEN BY E & W WOLLAND/ STONE GIVEN BY W. CLEAVE, W. COOMBES, W. DAVENPORT, F. LLOYD, T. LEE/ GRANITE CO., G. WOOLAND. HAULAGE BY: W & E CLEAVE. ENGRAVING BY M. WESTCOTT.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.

Sources

Websites
Double-sided war memorial restored, accessed 22 February 2016 from http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Double-sided-war-memorial-restored/story-17030674-detail/story.html
War Memorials Online, accessed 08/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/201534
War Memorials Register, accessed 08/12/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25975
Other
Western Times, Friday 27 August 1926

End of official listing