Byers Green War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433893
Date first listed:
25-Apr-2016
Statutory Address:
Junction of High Street, Church Street and Hagg Lane, Byers Green, County Durham, DL16 7QJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Byers Green War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:35:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of High Street, Church Street and Hagg Lane, Byers Green, County Durham, DL16 7QJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Spennymoor
National Grid Reference:
NZ2252333792

Summary

First World War memorial, 1925, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Byers Green War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Church Street and Hagg Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant memorial cross; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed former National School and Schoolmaster’s House.

History

Byers Green war memorial, by Messrs Lowes of Durham, was unveiled on 12 April 1925 by Dr T A Beresford Kane JP and dedicated by Reverend F E Loxley. It commemorates 39 local servicemen who died during the First World War. The memorial cost £330, raised by public subscription and through fund raising events. Following the Second World War the details of nine men who died in that conflict were added and the memorial was re-dedicated on 6 June 1948 by Reverend R Cartwright. At that time the memorial was re-furbished by William Allison and Sons at a cost of £175, completing works which could not be afforded in 1925.

Details

The tall granite memorial stands at the junction of Church Street and Hagg Road, opposite the Grade II-listed former National School and Schoolmaster’s House. It comprises a Maltese cross rising from a tapered shaft with moulded foot ring. That stands on a corniced plinth with moulded base. The plinth’s edges are chamfered and the four faces are polished. There is a low grill at the front of the base to hold wreaths against the memorial. The whole is raised on a low stone step, enclosed by an iron rail.

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ BYERS GREEN/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ DURING THE GREAT WAR./ 1914 -/ “THEIR BODIES ARE BURIED IN PEACE,/ BUT THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.”

The First World War names are listed on either side of the plinth. The Second World War inscription on the rear face reads 1939 – 1945/ (9 NAMES)/ “THEIR SEED SHALL REMAIN FOR EVER AND/ THEIR GLORY SHALL NOT BE BLOTTED OUT.”



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project - Byers Green, accessed 25/02/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6497
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/225192
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10304

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].