Boldon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1435093
Date first listed:
24-May-2016
Statutory Address:
Front Street, East Boldon, South Tyneside, NE36 0TE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1435093.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 12:30:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
Front Street, East Boldon, South Tyneside, NE36 0TE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3669861237

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Boldon War Memorial, which stands on Front Street, East Boldon, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an intricately carved Celtic cross.

History

Boldon War Memorial was unveiled on 29 April 1922 by Lt-Col RS Roundell MP. Roundell had been in charge of Boldon camp during the First World War. The memorial was dedicated by Reverend F Aubrey E Leake in commemoration of 65 men of West and East Boldon who died during the First World War. The memorial was designed by WH Wood of Newcastle and carved by NS Brown of Heworth. The cost was raised by public subscription but the small garden in which the memorial stands was given by JG Addison. Following the Second World War the names of 39 men who died during that conflict were added.

Details

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a small garden on the south side of Front Street, East Boldon, approached from the pavement by a small flight of four steps. It comprises a stone Celtic cross, c6.5m tall, standing on a chamfered pedestal. The pedestal stands on a square, two-stepped, base.

The front face of the cross is richly ornamented with foliage patterns carved in low relief and, at the base of the cross shaft, a depiction of St George killing the dragon. The sides of the shaft are demarcated by blind panels. The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads THE PEOPLE OF BOLDON/ RECORD IN EVER/ GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ THE NAMES/ OF THEIR BROTHERS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918./ THEY WERE A WALL UNTO US/ BOTH BY NIGHT AND BY DAY/ 1 SAMUEL XXV 16.

Below this, inscribed on a stone inset into the sloping front face of the base, the later dedication reads LET US ALSO REMEMBER/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES). The commemorated First World War names are listed on stone plaques fixed to the left and right hand sides of the pedestal.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The garden is separated from the pavement by a low retaining wall and two garden benches. There are two small planters either side of the memorial on the lawn. These features are not of special interest.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 13/04/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7139
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/231656
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/48289

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].