Rougham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1435251
Date first listed:
07-Jun-2016
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of Church of St Mary, Church Road, Rougham, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP30 9JJ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1435251.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:41:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of Church of St Mary, Church Road, Rougham, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP30 9JJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
West Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Rushbrooke with Rougham
National Grid Reference:
TL9117862647

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Rougham War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Celtic cross; * Group value: with the Church of St Mary (Grade I-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Rougham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars.  It commemorates 27 local servicemen who died during the First World War and was dedicated on 5 June 1921 by Major E E Pearson. The memorial cost £138 17s.

Following the Second World War a dedication was added to commemorate the five fallen of that conflict. In 2014 a project was undertaken to conserve the memorial with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust: this included the renewal of the old oak posts with new timber and the replacement of the original concrete apron with new concrete paving slabs.

Details

Rougham War Memorial is located in the northern part of the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (Grade I-listed). The memorial consists of a two-stepped base surmounted by a plinth from which rises a tall wheel-head cross. A small stone flower vase is let into the lower step of the base on the south side. The memorial stands on a square, paved, apron and is surrounded by oak posts linked with chains.

The inscriptions are incised in the stone and painted. The First World War dedication is located on the north face of the plinth and reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF ROUGHAM/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ (27 NAMES). The Second World War dedication is located on the south face of the plinth and reads 1939 – 1945/ (5 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 13 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 13 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/191119
War Memorials Register, accessed 20/04/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5254
War Memorials Trust, Grants Showcase - Rougham, Suffolk, accessed 20/04/2016 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1127

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].