Cleadon War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Front Street, Cleadon, Tyne and Wear, SR6 7PG


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1436752.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2021 at 18:28:22.


Statutory Address:
Front Street, Cleadon, Tyne and Wear, SR6 7PG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Cleadon War Memorial, which stands on Front Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an imposing memorial built in a local stone; * Group value: with Cleadon Tower (Grade II-listed).


Cleadon War Memorial was unveiled on 13 November 1920 by Lt-Col G Pollard and dedicated by the vicar, Reverend RP Moorsom. It cost £300, raised by public subscription, and was sculpted by Thomas Curry of South Shields. It commemorates 14 local servicemen who died in the First World War and marks the service of a further 107 who returned. Following the Second World War the details of 32 men who fell in that conflict were added with an adaption to the front of the memorial by E Smyth of Sunderland.

In 1997 an additional dedication commemorating men and women who served in both the First and Second World Wars, and who as children had been residents of Cleadon Cottage Homes, was also raised at the foot of the memorial: this was carved by Karl Fisher of Sunderland. Cleadon Cottage Homes were a row of houses off Sunniside Lane, built in 1909. Each house provided accommodation for up to 20 children, cared for by a house-mother or -father. A further building for staff and administration was provided. The boys and girls received education and vocational training. The Homes closed in 1962.


MATERIALS: Heworth stone, Welsh slate, metal plaques.

DESCRIPTION: The war memorial stands in a garden on Front Street, in front of Cleadon Tower (Grade II-listed). It takes the form of a large rough-hewn Heworth stone boulder raised on a rocky cairn. At the top of the front face of the boulder a wreath is carved in low relief, below which a plaque of South Welsh slate with a carved border of oak leaves bears the principal dedicatory inscription. This reads IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF CLEADON WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ (14 NAMES)/ ALSO IN TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO SERVED/ (107 NAMES).

The rocky cairn was originally round on plan, encircling and supporting the boulder. The front quadrant of the cairn was cut away to let in the Second World War component of the memorial. That comprises a stone altar, rectangular on plan, with a sword carved in low relief on the upper surface of the altar table. The front of the altar bears a South Welsh slate plaque recording the later inscription LET US ALSO REMEMBER/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (32 NAMES).

A stone block, the top of which is shaped in the form of an open book with metal plaques fixed to the two open pages, stands at the foot of the altar. The plaque to the left reads IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE YOUNG/ MEN AND WOMEN/ FROM CLEADON/ COTTAGE HOMES/ WHO SERVED/ DURING THE/ WORLD WARS/ 1914-1919/ 1939-1945. The plaque to the right reads THEY THAT PUT/ ASIDE TODAY/ ALL THE JOYS/ OF THEIR TODAY/ AND WITH TOIL/ OF THEIR TODAY/ BOUGHT FOR US/ TOMORROW/ RUDYARD KIPLING.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The garden is enclosed by a chain supported on low posts. A flagpole stands to the rear of the memorial. These features are not of special interest.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.


North East War Memorials Project, accessed 14/06/2016 from
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 14/06/2016 from
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 14/06/2016 from
The Workhouse (South Shields, Durham), accessed 14/06/2016 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].