Howden-le-Wear War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438107
Date first listed:
15-Sep-2016
Statutory Address:
High Street, Howden-le-Wear, County Durham, DL15 8EX

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438107.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 02:44:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
High Street, Howden-le-Wear, County Durham, DL15 8EX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ1626133379

Summary

First World War memorial, 1924, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Howden-le-Wear War Memorial, which stands on High Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant obelisk in the Classical style, incorporating imagery symbolising the end of conflict.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Howden-le-Wear as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 11 November 1924 by Captain RA Howe, and dedicated by the Vicar, in commemoration of 33 local servicemen who died in the First World War. By Mr JG Brown of Wolsingham, it cost £217. Following the Second World War the names of nine men who died in that conflict were added.

Details

The granite memorial, c4m tall, stands on the east side of High Street, close to the junction with Bridge Street. It takes the form of an obelisk, square on plan, rising from the pediment of a tapering pedestal. A sheathed sword, carved in low relief on the front face of the obelisk, hangs from its sword belt from the obelisk’s pyramidal top, with a wreath carved below. The pedestal stands on a two-stage base, that stands on two low steps. The memorial is surrounded by a square enclosure formed of a plain metal rail suspended from low, pyramidal, posts.

The admonition LEST WE FORGET is inscribed on the front-facing pediment. Below this, on the front face of the pedestal, the principal dedicatory inscription reads TO THE HONOUR AND IN SACRED/ MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN FROM/ HOWDEN-LE-WEAR AND DISTRICT/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ (NAMES). The names continue onto the upper stage of the base, followed by 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES) and further Second World War names recorded on the lower stage also.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 27/07/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7538
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/240129
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10410

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].