Morgan's Vale and Woodfalls War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438636
Date first listed:
14-Oct-2016
Statutory Address:
Junction of Bowers Hill and The Ridge, Morgan's Vale, Redlynch, Wiltshire, SP5 2HT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438636.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 05:16:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Bowers Hill and The Ridge, Morgan's Vale, Redlynch, Wiltshire, SP5 2HT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Redlynch
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU1998921132

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled on 6 June 1920, with further names added after the Second World War and later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

Morgan’s Vale and Woodfalls War Memorial, unveiled on 6 June 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant wheel-head cross in Portland stone; * Group value: with the Lodge to Redlynch House (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Morgan's Vale as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial cross was originally erected on the corner of The Ridge and Morgan's Vale Road and it was unveiled on 6 June 1920. It commemorated 19 fallen local men from Morgan's Vale and Woodfalls. Further names were added after the Second World War, and after conflicts in Palestine and Malaya.

In 1975 the Parish Council discussed the re-siting of the monument because it was considered to be a traffic hazard and it was moved to its new site across the road and re-dedicated on Remembrance Sunday 1976 by the Reverend Roger Sharpe.

On Remembrance Sunday 2001 the memorial was cleaned and renovated and re-dedicated by the Reverend Ian Provost.

Details

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a wheel-head cross with octagonal arms set upon an octagonal tapering shaft surmounting a square plinth. This is set upon a square two-stepped base.

The plinth bears the inscription in incised, black-painted lettering which reads MORGANS VALE AND WOODFALLS/ IN MEMORY OF OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES). On another face the inscription reads 1939 – 1945./ (NAMES) and on another the inscription reads PALESTINE, 1946./ (NAME)/ MALAYA, 1952./ (NAME).



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.

Sources

Websites
New Forest Remembers, accessed 21 July 2016 from http://www.newforestheritage.org/war-memorial-memorials-in-the-parish-of-redlynch/
War Memorials Online, accessed 16/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/163567
War Memorials Register, accessed 21/07/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/50967
War Memorials Register, accessed 21/07/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/50966

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].