First World War memorial, 1921.
Reasons for Designation
Keenley and Broadside War Memorial, which stands opposite Burn Tongues Farm, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an elegant memorial cross incorporating a carving of a sheathed sword, symbolising the end of conflict;
* Degree of survival: unusually, the memorial has not been adapted for Second World War commemoration, and thus retains its original design intent.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Keenley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 28 May 1921 by Colonel Clifton Brown MP, commemorating 22 local servicemen who fought in the First World War of whom six died. The site for the memorial was donated by Mr Henderson Philipson whilst the cost of the memorial, by Beattie and Co of Carlisle, was met by public subscription and local fundraising. The railings were provided by Messrs Newman and erected by Mr Edward Milburn of Catton.
The firm of masons, Messrs Beattie and Co, were responsible for many war memorials in the N of England and in Scotland, some of which are Grade II-listed including those at Corbridge, Newbrough, and Birtley.
The memorial stands in an enclosure to the S of the roadside, opposite Burn Tongues Farm (not listed). The semi-circular enclosure is marked to the front by a coursed stone wall with piers, railings, and a gate. The memorial is approached from the road by a rake of steps.
Built of stone from local quarries at Kiln Green, the memorial comprises a small cross rising from a moulded collar on a tapering shaft, square on plan. The shaft stands on the corniced top of a pedestal, that stands on a two-stage base. That stands on a stone step. A wreath encircling a sheathed sword is carved in low relief on the front face of the upper stage of the base.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads TO/THE MEMORY OF THE YOUNG MEN/ OF KEENLEY AND BROADSIDE/ WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919, OF WHOM THE FOLLOWING/ SIX MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE./ (NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. The names of those who served and returned are listed on the sides of the pedestal.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.