Newfield War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Recreation Ground, Primrose Hill, Newfield, County Durham, DL14 8BQ


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439525.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2021 at 05:06:01.


Statutory Address:
Recreation Ground, Primrose Hill, Newfield, County Durham, DL14 8BQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Newfield War Memorial, which stands on the Recreation Ground, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: and austere war memorial in the Classical style; * Group value: with Newfield Farmhouse and the fingerpost approximately 90m east of Newfield Farmhouse (both Grade II).


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Newfield as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Newfield was the small pit village for Newfield Colliery, opened in 1841, and also served the nearby brickworks. The war memorial was unveiled on 19 August 1922 by Mr WW Storr, a Director of the colliery owners, Bolckow, Vaughan and Co Ltd. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died in the First World War (originally 21 names, two have since been added). The memorial, costing £325 raised by public subscription, was built by J Lowes and Son of Durham, whilst the Recreation Ground on which it stands was given by the colliery owners. Following the Second World War the names of three men who died in that conflict were added. Originally in the centre of the Recreation Ground, it has been moved c40m to the north.


The memorial stands in the northern part of the Recreation Ground in Newfield, close to the fingerpost and Newfield Farmhouse (both Grade II). It takes the form of a pillar, made of grey granite and c3.5m tall. Standing on a two-stepped base, square on plan, the pillar dies back in stages to the corniced cap. The uppermost stage is ornamented with a wreath carved in relief to the front and rear.

The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the memorial reads 1914-1918/ ERECTED/ IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED/ ON THIS STONE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN DEFENCE OF THEIR COUNTRY/ DURING THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ (NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN/ THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. To the east side the Second World War inscription reads 1939 – 1945/ NAMES).


Durham Mining Museum, accessed 13/09/2016 from
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 13/09/2016 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 February 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 February 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].