Awsworth War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Awsworth War Memorial
List entry Number: 1443591
Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, Main Street, Awsworth, Nottinghamshire, NG16 2QP
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 21-Feb-2017
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War Memorial.
Reasons for Designation
Awsworth War Memorial is recommended for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of an obelisk.
The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the 19th century. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
The war memorial in Cossall commemorates the fallen from the First and Second World Wars. It was paid for by public subscription and was erected in the churchyard in 1920. The memorial was unveiled by Lt Col Terry, the son of the Rev Michael Terry, a former vicar of St Peter's.
First World War Memorial, erected 1920.
PLAN: the memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (unlisted).
EXTERIOR: the memorial is in the form of an obelisk mounted on a square plinth with a crossed rifle and sword on a wreath and cap carved in relief on the front face. This is supported by a square two-tier base which rests upon a square two-tier platform. On the front face of the plinth and base is inscribed: ERECTED BY/ THE PARISHIONERS OF/ AWSWORTH/ IN/ PROUD, GRATEFUL, AND HONOURED/ MEMORY OF/ AWSWORTH MEN,/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR GOD, KING AND COUNTRY IN/ THE GREAT WAR,/ 1914 - 1919/ "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE". The other three faces of the plinth are inscribed with the names of the fallen from both World Wars.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 6 March 2017.
War Memorials Online, accessed 6 March 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/131260
War Memorials Register, accessed 13 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26840
National Grid Reference: SK4823644086
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1443591 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 05:21:18.
End of official listing