First World War pillbox, Second World War pillbox and anti-tank cubes, Merrikin's Pullover

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1443966
Date first listed:
28-Jun-2017
Location Description:
Pillbox SH1, First World War TF 44527 95826 Pillbox SH1, Second World War TF 44531 95828 Anti-tank cubes TF 44429 95843
Statutory Address:
Sea Bank, Merrikin's Pullover, Saltfleet, Lincolnshire, LN11 7DF

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1443966.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 11:07:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
Sea Bank, Merrikin's Pullover, Saltfleet, Lincolnshire, LN11 7DF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Pillbox SH1, First World War TF 44527 95826 Pillbox SH1, Second World War TF 44531 95828 Anti-tank cubes TF 44429 95843
County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven
County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
South Somercotes
National Grid Reference:
TF4447895838

Summary

Pillbox, built 1917, associated pillbox and anti-tank cubes, built 1940-41.

Reasons for Designation

The First World War pillbox, Second World War pillbox and anti-tank cubes, Merrikin's Pullover, built in 1917 and 1940-41, are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * Date and rarity: built in 1917, the First World War pillbox is a rare survival;

Architectural interest:

* Technology: as illustrations of the evolving technology and defensive tactics in 1917 and 1940-41; * Group value: as a coherent linear group of First World War pillboxes functionally and physically associated with later Second World War defensive structures.

History

Although it is not known exactly when the First World War pillbox at Merrikin’s Pullover was built, it is clear that it was constructed as part of an organised coastal defence system with a series of near identical pillboxes placed at 1000 yard intervals. Their design, with single machine gun embrasures to either side to produce flanking fire across the fronts of the neighbouring pillboxes, are similar to those developed on the Western front in 1917, such as those at West Hazebrouck. The lack of front facing embrasures; the reinforced, convex curved roof at least 1m thick; and the use of sandbag shuttering to the exterior were all designed to make them ‘shell-proof’ to resist naval bombardment. This design illustrates the rapid evolution in thinking compared to those believed to be slightly earlier built on the Holderness coast north of the Humber. The pillbox is thought to have been manned by soldiers of the 7th/8th (combined) Battalions, Sherwood Foresters.

The pillbox is thought to have been reused in the Second World War, but was complemented with the construction of a second pillbox to its front. This is an example of a Lincolnshire three-bay pillbox, a rectangular pillbox with a central pit for a light anti-aircraft machine gun flanked by enclosed boxes for riflemen, this being a variant of the standard DFW3/23 design. The gap through the sea bank some 100m to the W of the pillboxes was defended with the construction of a set of concrete anti-tank cubes, designed to block the advance of enemy vehicles.

Details

Pillbox, built 1917, associated pillbox and anti-tank cubes, built 1940-41.

MATERIALS: concrete, reinforced with expanded metal lath sheeting (Expamet) and steel rails, poured in-situ with timber shuttering internally, sandbag shuttering externally.

PLAN: single cell trapezoid.

EXTERIOR: NE (seaward) elevation is blind and convex. NW and SE elevations each have a single, low set, wide-splayed machine gun embrasure. The rear has a single, rebated doorway mainly blocked with late C20 brickwork, accessed via a shallow trench. The exterior of the structure has a rusticated appearance left by the sandbag shuttering.

INTERIOR: now largely sand-filled. Below each embrasure there is a recess thought to have accommodated the front leg of the machine gun tripod.

SUBSIDIARY ITEMS: Second World War pillbox: reinforced concrete poured in situ with timber shuttering, only 0.35m thick (thus bullet/blast proof, not shell proof). Rectangular plan of three cells, the central being an open well with a central concrete post-mounting for a light anti-aircraft machine gun set above an ammunition recess. To either side are bricked-up doorways to the flanking, enclosed chambers, each of which has a single central embrasure to each of the three external faces.

Anti-tank cubes: ten cubes, diamond-set on plan into three rows. Cubes are reinforced concrete measuring approximately 5 feet (1.5m) across.

Sources

Books and journals
Infantry Machine Gun Company Training (Provisional), (1917), Plate XVIII
Notes on Trench Warfare, (December 1916), Fig 50
Oldham, Peter (Author), Pillboxes on the Western Front, (1995)
Oldham, Peter (Author), Armageddon's Walls - Britsh pill boxes and bunkers 1914-1918, (2014)
Osbourne, Mike, Pillboxes of Britain and Ireland, (2008), 55, 162 - 164
Wills, H, Pillboxes: A study of UK defences 1940, (1985), 40-41, 83 and 89
Other
Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey - Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, Field Survey, Selected First and Second World War Monuments, North Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Lincolnshire: Phase 3, Parts 1 and 2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].